Code 22 diagnosis

belair7mgte

Jul 30, 2009
Orlando, Florida
So yesterday I took my 87 Supra turbo out, and once I got home I heard a high pitch squeeling noise and saw coolant leaking out with a lot of white smoke pouring out from around the thermostat housing (possibly somewhere underneath?) I also checked my codes today and the only one that came up was code 22 meaning there's something malfunctioning in my water temp sensor circuit. I just replaced the radiator with a fluidyne and I also replaced the thermostat...I did some research on the smoke issue and someone stated it may be the heater core, but would that even fix the code issue?

Thanks!

Rob

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Coolant leaks around the T-stat housing:
- Did you replace the T-stat gasket?
- Turbo coolant lines
- 90 deg rubber hose from the block hardline to the bottom of the water neck
- Gasket between the water neck and head

A leak like this is not going to cause a ECU temp sensor failure. Fix the leak, pull the EFI fuse to reset, and recheck codes after you drive it.

belair7mgte

Jul 30, 2009
Orlando, Florida
Well I did replace the thermostat gasket, and I did take it for a drive just now and the same smoke issue came right back up with a huge coolant leak but once I reset the fuse code 51 came up instead which is A/C switch circuit, A/C switch, A/C amplifier, Throttle position sensor circuit, or the Throttle position sensor...which led me to remember I also have an idle issue on occasions where the car starts but simply idles out..any ideas?

Who

Supramania Contributor
I cant believe you have a coolant leak, smoke and steam but you are driving around town and you keep chasing codes?? Oh yeah and lets not forget you have a idle problem as well. Please park the car, remove / move the power steering reservoir and replace the 90deg. hose, and both turbo lines first. :aigo:

belair7mgte

Jul 30, 2009
Orlando, Florida
haha naw I discovered the coolant leak after I drove it around town, I might just get a whole new 7mgte engine, not too sure though, how much would it cost to simply replace the motor?

belair7mgte

Jul 30, 2009
Orlando, Florida
noo not because of a coolant leak, its just my motor has a ton of miles on it and my friend is giving me a deal for a 7m with a bunch of internals in it, saving me like a grand in the long run for an almost new engine