Code 21

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
Checked my codes today because my car is hesitating bucking, and i got a code 21 which is the O2. But i just recently changed my O2 with a brand new one from toyota. so i was wondering if anything else would cause the car to throw that code. would faulty catalytic converter make this happen. because i removed the cat underneath the car with a test pipe, and still have stock down pipe on, but when i hit fuel cut the car backfires and fire actually comes out. i thought u couldnt backfire with a cat still on unless it was shot? so just wondering if anything else would cause code 21 to come out?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Clear the code and try again. Code 21 will not cause your car to "buck" so the code is from the buck and not the other way around. Me thinks.you've got more problems than a bad sensor as the car will not run noticeably different with a bad one than one that's working. That it will is a common misconception. In fact it'll run slightly better. The cat won't cause this code either.You can check the sensor by measuring Vf to ground with the diag block shorted. Do you also have code 22? A bad water temp sensor can also cause a bad O2 signal. Got a code 25 or 26?

Last edited:

gp-7mgte

Ramrod
May 29, 2005
under my hood
jetjock said:
Clear the code and try again. Code 21 will not cause your car to "buck" so the code is from the buck and not the other way around. Me thinks.you've got more problems than a bad sensor as the car will not run noticeably different with a bad one than one that's working. That it will is a common misconception. In fact it'll run slightly better. The cat won't cause this code either.You can check the sensor by measuring Vf to ground with the diag block shorted. Do you also have code 22? A bad water temp sensor can also cause a bad O2 signal. Got a code 25 or 26?

i have a 41 tps code aswell, but i just wanted to see if the 21 had anything to do with my hesitation, because i just but that new O2.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
A bad TPS will certainly cause the engine to act weird. Since that is obvious and since you exepcted help while witholding information (thereby forcing me to waste time playing 20 questions) you're now on my list. Guards, take him away....