Code 12 No start/no spark Problem resolved - solution posted

veedubin

Official SM Decals
I'm posting this in the 7M section as my 2J is still running 7MGTE electronics.
I have also looked through 20 pages of threads while searching for this issue ................... since 4:15am.

Specs on the setup:
2JZ GE-T using JDM 7MGTE electronics and harness
MAFT Pro
factory 7MGTE 440's and CT26

Onto the issue:
Car will not start when the ambient temp is below 70*-75*
No start condition is failure of spark. The only code I am recieving is code 12 - Loss of NE or G to ECU

For the past 3-5 days, when I go to leave for work at 5:15a, the car will not start due to above. When I get home (temps between 85* and 100*) the car fires right up with no issue at all. I spent several hours last night working with the car and trying to diagnose the issue. I do not have an oscilliscope, so I have no good way of verifying the actual signals being sent from the CPS.

Last night while working with it, I ohmed out the CPS and found I had infinite resistance between G2 and G- Spec calls for 140-180 ohms
I replaced the CPS and retimed the car. During the my time working with it last night, the car never once failed to start. I have performed continuity tests on all wiring for ECU, igniter, and coils. All wires are showing continuity, the CPS wires are (on all 4) showing a resistance value of about .6-.7 ohms from plug at CPS to ECU plug.

I left the car last night in a fully running condition - the only complaint I have when it does run, it will develop a misfire after reaching operating temperature. Not a huge misfire, but noticiable.

Believing that temperature has something, if not everything, to do with the issue; I even went as far as "icing down" the igniter,CPS,and coil pack last night. This did not cause a nostart condition. I also verified correct operation of coolant temperature sensor; resistance reading was within spec listed in TSRM.

When going out to start the car up this morning, I initially tried to start it and the tach wouldn't budge while cranking. After a few tries later, I saw the tach bounce just a bit and heard the engine attemp to fire. That lasted only a short second or two. Since then, no tach movement, and no start. I have replaced the igniter many times (I have a few of these floating around) and did it again this morning out of desperation. I also swapped the ECU with another known working unit from my old 7M - no change at all.

I am truly at my wits end with this car. I've only put about 350 miles on the car since the swap was completed. BTW - this no start issue has reared up in the past. Since the last 7M i was running. It was a JDM motorset, harness, ECU from an importer in Jersey. When that motor was running, the car did this exact thing to me only one time. It actually stalled out and wouldn't restart for over 30 minutes when it happened. That was well over a year ago, and until the JZ was put in I didn't have the issue at all. Now that the JZ is in, this has become a frequent problem. I am at the point where due to scheduling, I can no longer take my wife's car to work, and can't afford to be fired for not going to work....

Solution:
Replaced entire wire from CPS to ECU. Used exact wire from spare harness and properly repinned into current harness.
Lesson learned.... even though the wiring in the car showed good continuity, it was still bad...
Thank you Supramania.

Last edited:

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Called off of work for today...... 75* outside still no start. Rechecked wiring from CPS to ECU with multimeter, and still getting same ohm readings. Also tried to check for any output voltage from the CPS with my DMM. And as I suspected, I can't verify anything. I've been researching and testing all morning.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Nick M;1856254 said:
The car will not run until the PCM receives that pickup signal. You need to look for the loose connection.

I've ran through the wiring completely, and am still coming up short on any real conclusion. I am going to fab a test harness to run from CPS straight to ECU. I'm not very optimistic about it, but I'm rapidly running out of ideas. I've also found a lot of threads related to code 12 no start issues; yet none of them have any sort of fix listed... at least anything relating to my issue. TSRM has been exhausted as far as diagnostics go. And without an osciliscope, I'm sort of feeling like I'm up the creek without a paddle....

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Sometimes you just stop trying to understand and take what you're given.....

Fabbed up a harness from CPS to ECU with the same wire from a 90 N/A harness I have laying around. Kept the wire whole, and depinned the connectors. Repinned the wire into the CPS and the ECU. Viola, fired up first try. Checked resistance specs on the new harness, and have the same .6 -.7 ohms.
So I'm done trying to understand this for right now. I'm just happy that it runs!

veedubin

Official SM Decals
SideWinderGX;1856322 said:
Thanks for coming back into the thread and updating it, wish more people did that!

Sucks you couldn't diagnose it at all but at least it works.

Tell me about it. So many issues that arise in the ownership of a car are easy fixes. If people would post a solution to their problem, it would help so many out so much more. Nothing worse than finding 20 threads on 10 different forums all relating to your problem, and not one of them has any sort of resolve posted.

As for diagnosing it... after running the new wire and test driving it, I did attack it with the DMM again. The one thing I did not check the first time around was for any shorting to other wires within the CPS wiring. Turns out that is exactley what the problem was. There must have been a break in the wiring somewere and 2 wires (can't remember which now) were intermit. shorting to each other.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The car is more than 20 years old. The wiring is no longer in pristine condition. Especially that which is right on the engine like that harness.