Clutch's Supra Build!

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So I am going to start this build thread out by introducing my original build project.

p1779334_1.jpg

This was my first Supra that I had purchased, this was the one that got me addicted, this was the one that was my drug:evil2:, this one was the one that well you all get it, you older gents on here (much respect) know what I am talking about.

p1779334_2.jpg

p1779334_3.jpg

p1779334_4.jpg

I will admit when I got this car I knew nothing about them. WHATSOEVER not a thing and I wish now that I would have looked into these cars before i even attempted to buy this one and you will learn why later on in my thread.

p1779334_5.jpg

p1779334_6.jpg

just a few more pics of the car to go

p1779334_7.jpg

p1779334_8.jpg

p1779334_9.jpg

p1779334_10.jpg

Yeah the car looked really good from the outside or should I say that whoever sold it to the dealer that I got it from did a really good job of covering up the yellow beneath (by yellow I mean lemon)

p1779334_11.jpg

p1779334_12.jpg

Here were the rear quarter panel sections of the car when i bought it and please keep in mind I gave 1395 pounds for this car and at the time of purchase the exchange rate was high so it worked out that I ended up paying 2276.54 USD for this car. When i bought this car the dealer had informed me that it would pass through the MOT over here which is there inspections that you have to get every year to make sure that your car is road worthy just had to sort out the exhaust leak on it and it would be good.

p1779334_5.jpg

p1779334_14.jpg

Yes 7mgte, I wil admit did not know a thing about them :cry: And I did not know what i was getting myself into but i did it and somedays I regret it and somedays I am like yeah. I am sure that everybody on here and other forums have dones the same thing and if you havent you have not owned your Supra long enough to even go through the heartache that you will go through.

Now back to my story. The exhaust leak was explaned to me as just needing the gasket replaced behind the manifold and that was all that it need to pass the mot and get her road worthy so I was like awesome I can handle that I have a good back ground of mechanical ability I can do this I will just learn as i go:nono:

So i went through the work of replacing the gasket yada yada yada and when I went to start it wouldnt you know it that is when I discovered that it was still leaking. The Infamous stripped exhaust studs.

So as I was sitting there pondering i got to thinking hey I am going to send this off and get an mot back on this thing just to see how bad it is and what else it needs to get this thing road legal. As they were going through my car the list was just getting longer and longer :puke:::hang::

Moderators: I promise this thread is building up to the build just thought that it would be a good idea to enlighten everybody to my journey to the top of the mountain on the build.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So I left off with puking and hanging myself because of the list of things that were coming back on this car. I came to the conclusion that I was going to rebuild it I had the time and thought hey this would probably be a good project because hey its a SUPRA :love:. You dont see a whole lot of them around here anymore and when you do see them they are
1. in really bad shape
2. being parted out due to being in bad shape
3. in really good shape and they person dont want to get rid of it.
4. it is for sale and you never have the money at the time.

So now it boils down to starting the rebuild on this one. The house that I lived in at the time did not have a garage which is a must over here in the jolly ol UK if you ever want to have a hobby that involves working on vehicles. So I moved houses just to make sure that I have a garage to start on the teardown of this vehicle and get her ready for the rebuild.

p1779338_1.jpg

p1779338_2.jpg

p1779338_3.jpg

p1779338_4.jpg

p1779338_5.jpg

I can keep posting pictures of this but you will just get bored with it because I am sure that a few of you have gone this far with your Supra :naughty:

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So as the build continued I managed to save a bit of cash up what with living in the UK and hey lets face it I am a sucker for the English accent. And the alcohol over here is great. Love the Absynth, plus that fact that there is a pub literaly a block from my house :love: but i managed to do it. Back to my story, the build was going ok everytime I turned around there was a whole that needed patched or there was something that was going to rust completely through if I didnt get it fixed. :3d_frown: Then one day I was on the local website kind of like craigslist over here and seen an advertisement for a 86 Toyota Supra. :naughty: Thought to myself hey while mine is in the garage I can get this one to drive around go to the local car events in you know all the stuff that one would want to do if they had a up and running supra. Got in contact with the guy that had it and he was telling me that there were a few other people that were interested in the car and he was wanting to see what they were going to do so i was kind of gutted about that. So I asked if i could at least take a look at the car and he said sure meet me here. That is just what I did. That was when I got the chance to talk to the guy and tell him what I was doing. I left the parking lot thinking I am never going to see that car again.:: angry ::

Well a few days goes by and I get a phone call and these were his words (hey you seem like the only guy that I haved talked with that sounds like they know these cars and will take care of it. If you still want it you can have it let me know. And this one is the one that I ended up buying

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Talk about a very happy person.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So I got the car and now I need to figure out which way to go with it :cry: Should I keep it stock and just repaint it or redo it so this was all stuff that was still going through my head. So I got the chance to go to a meet over here called JAE (Japanese Auto Extravaganza) pretty cool show, had a blast. So while there and sitting around the grill one night and drinking and eating

p1779760_1.jpg

p1779760_2.jpg

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
I got to talking with one of the members and he looked over and was checking out my registration and asked what year my car was. I told him and he asked if I had the V5 (title) with me. Said he would like to see it if not a problem. So I went and grabbed it along with the little folder that I got with the car and that was when I found out that I had a import. This was a few things that were in the glove box

p1779763_1.jpg

p1779763_2.jpg

p1779763_3.jpg

p1779763_4.jpg

p1779763_5.jpg

p1779763_6.jpg

p1779763_7.jpg

p1779763_8.jpg

p1779763_9.jpg

p1779763_10.jpg

p1779763_11.jpg

p1779763_12.jpg

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
After this it was when I decided to start with a restoration of the car and try to keep it original as possible. So to keep the stock rims in good condition I decided to get some aftermarkets to put on it and this was how it turned out. Not bad but not the best.

p1779765_1.jpg

p1779765_2.jpg

p1779765_3.jpg

p1779765_4.jpg

p1779765_5.jpg

p1779765_6.jpg

So the restoration was going to start.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
When me and my Fiance got back from JAE and she had decided that she wanted to do up a SUPRA as well. So for about 2 months we looked around for one to get her. After checking out a few she finally found the one that she wanted and I was happy with that because this one only cost me 800.00 USD

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So After we got the car home from London the next day I went out to start it and look things over and the thing would not idle right and was spitting and sputtering really bad so I raised the hood on the car and flashed the ECU and it was kicking back a knock sensor. So now I need to change a knock sensor on it which i thought was pretty crazy considering the fact that less then 10 hours ago the thing ran fine. Knock sensor was changed and got in it to start it and nothing. All it did was crank and every now and then it would start. So i didnt feel like chasing the problem on it anymore and I had a month off work with nothing to do and I had a motor just sitting there that I knew ran strong. So I started the swap on this one.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
:: angry ::

sm_photo_missing.jpg

With Mountain Dew all things are possible:biglaugh:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Glad I did decide to pull it because I found that it also had a busted motor mount!:3d_frown:
have to find that pic though

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So while I was waiting for a few of the parts to come in I ended up going on a four month paid vacation to South Korea. Had a Blast and got alot of pics if interested just let me know and I will post some up. Will warn any of you though if planning on going to South Korea. Avoid the juicey's and enjoy the Soju. I know I did. But while I was gone my father-in-law started putting my fiances SUPRA back together for me so that way when I got back I didnt have to get a rental car and I got some pics of that I am going to post up

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So here are some of the pics for the motor install on my fiances SUPRA. This was the engine install. The motor for hers came out of the white one so since I had it out I went ahead and did some routine maintenance to make life a bit easier. Exhaust studs, Gates timing belt, ngk plugs, ngk wires, thermostat, and new motormounts as well.

Here is the old motor mount that came off the car!

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

And here are the Motor mounts that we replaced them with. thought they would be a bit better than factory and I didnt want to go with solid ones would like a little bit of give on the car.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So this was the motor going back into her car

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The motor was installed in the car and has been babied now for a while. I have been running into a few issues but not a lot to hold it back. It has been my dd now for a while and I am happy with the turn out.

Last edited:

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So now that I got this one out of the way I was ablt to start with the removal of my motor for an upgrade from a 7MGE with an auto to a 7MGTE manual (R154):evil2:

The motor was removed from my car and I am upset because I did not get any pictures of this removal. but it is what it is. The motor out of mine was purchased by a friend of mine over here and put in his Toyota Hilux. It was a pretty wicked ride:naughty: But I did manage to get some pictures of the engine bay after it was removed and I must say that I was pretty shocked at how clean this thing was once the motor came out of it:yikes:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
While I was taking some time away from the build to work on my keeping the fiance happy skills:icon_surp I managed to talk her into going to the junk yard with me to just look around and see if I could find something that may interest me.

Low and behold I came across these:evil2:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
Please dont mind the paint scheme was just experimenting with some ideas so that when I take them to the shop to get them powdercoated they can do them how I want them done in a two tone type of look.

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So now that I am actually getting the chance to start on my car just thought that I would share some of my ideas with you on here and maybe get some feed back on how it may turn out or what thoughts may come out of it.

I ordered a pair of clear corners for the front just waiting on them to get in. All the exterior trim is going to be removed and swapped with the carbon fibre trim as soon as I get prices on that. Going to redo all the seals and swap out the windshield as mine has a small but aggravating chip in it. Going to work out the little bit or rust that there is on the body and get it ready for paint. Above the trim I am going to go with a Charcoal Grey and below the trim is going to be something of a surprise. Then she is off to get the windows tinted. I also forgot to mention that I am doing away with the rear spoiler on this one and going with a wrap around to kind of throw the illusion that it is not as old as you may think it is. Then she is off to sit in the garage for a bit while I start building the speaker box for her. That is just a few ideas that are running through my head right now.

suprasick

Hey look...a Supra!
Mar 17, 2006
Milton, Washington
Just read the whole thread! You definitively have got the supra disease :naughty::naughty: lol. I like the all the pics, its cool to see supras outside the US and see all the subtle differences between countries. Keep up the good work!

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
Yeah it is a sick disease. But what can you do when you catch it you catch it hard lol. Will definately keep up the work and will keep the pictures coming as well I got a few of them

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So now my motor build is under way:evil2:

On the way is
turbonetics turbo, 3inch front mount intercooler, new water pump, complete gasket rebuild kit, fuel pressure regulator, 3 inch piping for the intercooler, new freeze plugs, new head studs, new plug wires, new spark plug galley cover, 5 puck clutch and a few other things. Cant wait to get all this on and take her for a spin. I love that fact that I can buy my own Christmas presents:icon_razz

clutch

Jan 13, 2011
Bettingen, Germany
So it has been a while since I added a few things to my build so I will put a few pictures of my progress. A few months ago I bout a guage cluster cover for my car and it was a bit chilly outside the other day so I went ahead and installed that and here are a few before and after shots of how that turned out. Not as good looking as I thought it would turn out but hey it is a start. Will just have to wait and see how it looks when I actually get it put in the car.:evil2:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So after I did the guage cluster I decided to mod the heater control switch so that way I can run the low setting on my heater now. It is not that great for a first time mod but it was a general idea on how to do it and test it to make sure that it works.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

So that will be on my agenda for next weekend as yesterday and today I tore my motor down and did a look over the block and some of the parts that I plan on reusing. So I thought that I would throw up a pretty sight for everyone to take a look at we all should know what this is about

sm_photo_missing.jpg

The was a sight for sore eyes right there lol.

And this is how far that I have got with the motor so far

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

This is all that has happened so far with some of the things that I have been up to over the past few days:evil2: