Clutch Suggestions? In the Market today.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Hey guys i was just looking for some options to go with for a new clutch setup currently i'm Stock OEM replacement (3,000miles) Flywheel/PP/Clutch/Bearings

My mods and power ill need to support

7M-GTE/R-154
Driftmotion Intercooler Kit (2.5inch piping)
3inch Turbo Back
CT-26 60-1 @ 20psi
Apexi Power intake
Maft Pro
560'cc injectors
Lexus AFM

I'm looking for something that will hold at least 500whp (Just in case i ever make it there)

Thanks in Advance
-Jordan

Last edited:

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Well, for what it's worth, I really liked my Spec stage 3+ a lot. It had stock pedal feel, easy engagement, and had really long life. Problem is it's pretty heavy, and expensive. Shifting will have to be slower than a lighter puck-style clutch, just so you know.

I have heard good things about South Bend's clutch lineup, but I have no firsthand experience with 'em.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Well, there ARE alot of threads concerning clutch selection in this power range, maybe that's why it's quiet in here.
I have similar power goals, and I intend to go with a Spec 2+ or 3+.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So Spec seems to be the brand of choice. Any preferences as to vender? The only aftermarket vender I've worked with is TitanMotorsports, and they're great, but expensive.

Mr.Yuk

Apr 3, 2009
Minnesota
Oddly enough I'm running a Sachs 6 puck sprung hub ceramic button type set up.. on a w58 with a GTE attached. Whilst breaking it in, it was a bit chattery, but seems to be holding just fine and haven't experienced any issues. I know it isn't a Spec or Southbend or anything... but it works pretty damn well.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
shipkiller;1821732 said:
6 puck ceramic disk from raptor racing with the stock pp. That is a cheap and good setup for the mods you have

Is there any way someone could link me to this? I would like to check it out, but it seems Raptor racing's website doesn't show it.

tErbo b00st

Hard Ass
Mar 20, 2007
Iowa City, IA
www.kougakuracing.com
Yea, I would stay away from Spec. I've read a few too many stories about the clutches shattering, and when that thing is spinning at 5k rpm right near my legs I'd rather play it a little safe.

I run a ACT 6 puck with extreme pressure plate and love it. I drift, so I beat the piss out of the clutch and it hasn't cared. After 4 years I swapped motors and replaced the clutch with a new unit and left the pressure plate. Didn't even break it in and it's holding strong.

I'm also a really big fan of Exedy stage 2, but havn't run that specifically on the MKiii.