Clutch release/soft pedal problem

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
This is new problem for me so Im asking for your guys' help.

I got in the supra yesterday morning and thought I somehow forgot how to drive a stick, then realized the pedal was extremely soft and easy to push in, and I only had to let it go about 1/2-1 inch for it to engage.

Popped the hood, checked the master cylinder and it was empty. Didnt take much to to fill it back up tho.

It worked a little better for a while but then it went back to how shitty it was before, but the reservoir was still full. I noticed I could wiggle the reservoir a little, is that normal?

So what do you think? Time to replace slave/master cylinders?
Or does the master eventually run low and now I have to bleed the system because I filled it back up too late and now theres air in it?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Prolly air in there.

My guess is the slave went out. Pull the boot off the slave and see if fluid comes out.

Also look up under where the pedal is to see if the master is leaking.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
The whole thing doesn't wiggle, just the plastic part that holds and measures fluid level.

I will check the slave in a bit. But if thats leaking, shouldnt the master run empty after driving it like 30 mins?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Well pushing the clutch in would empty it out at the slave. If you drive for 30mins without touching the clutch then it might hold fluid. My guess is the slave went too.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
It also might not be pouring out. Could be a slow leak. And ya drive time doesn't matter. Only pushing the clutch in will.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
There's no leaking fluid that I can see coming from the master in the pedal area.

Can a bad slave cause the reservoir to go dry?

Hotwheelsjr

May 22, 2011
Surprise AZ
A leak is the only thing that will run the MC dry. If the seal bit the dust in the slave, you will have a leak. If the seal in the MC went bad, you will have a leak. In order for your MC to go dry the fluid has to be leaking somewhere -- it can't just disappear into thin air.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
I litterly just replaced my slave last week cause it pissed out all the fluid over the winter time when it was in storage. I also had to replace 1 of the Clutch Master bolts and tighten up the other before I bled the system. I ended up finding the missing bolt inbehind the fuse block under the dash in the corner.