Clutch problem.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I have a w58 tranny that we've just assembled. We installed new pressure plate from ACT (from act ts3-hdr4 for Supra NT/Truck clutch kit) with the clutch disk of turbo supra.
First problem we ran into was the Release Bearing (it didn't quite fit the fork), so we bought a new OEM bearing and used it with the original holder or whatever it is, so it fit the fork. (I don't remember, whether we checked the height difference of the OEM and ACT release bearings, but it now seems to me, that the mounting point of the ACT one with the fork is overally higher).
Now, when everything got bolted up, we can't get the car into gear right. If I pushed it into the first as hard as I could, the wheels started rolling even when the clutch pedal was fully pressed. Pressing the brake made the car die.
The pedal itself feels too light for me. The slave cylinder moves, but the clutch disk is seems to be always engaged.

So could it be wrong pressure plate (e.g. for a turbo model (pull type?))?
Bad slave cylinder?
Wrong release bearing height (that would mean, that my fork is wrong for this ACT clutch kit?)?

This car is frustrating....:3d_frown:
Thanks for your help :)

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
Assuming everything worked before you worked on it....
1#Wrong pressure plate?
2#Clutch disk is hitting the pressure plate....as in the edge of the disk is touching the pressure plate keeping it spinning... I have acually ran into this a few times...
3#Pressure plate is not disengaging....You should have some free play at top of peddle 1 inch say.. then you should feel pressure...
Have someone push clutch in and try to spin clutch disk... you can just leave in gear and try to turn drive shaft... or take ascrew driver and try to rotate disk....

SOunds like you will be taking it apart tho... Need pictures to if you can...

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
If the p.p is for a turbo model, it won't work on the W-58. If its the n/a model p.p., the clutch plate is in backwards(wouldn't be the first time someone's done this, including me...). The flat face should face the flywheel, while the side with the springs should be inside the pressure plate. It could be that you need to bleed the master/slave, but if you didn't open the line, it should be fine.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I opened the slave cylinder itself, accidentally :). Bleeding didn't quite work.
But how can you put the disk in the wrong way?(I didn't even look at when it was put in. Wasn't it that the disk can't fit right the wrong way??)

Could also some adjusting of pedal/master cylinder help?

And if the TitanMotorsports sent me wrong PP....grrrr...
Part # TS3-HDR4 TS3-HDR4
ACT Clutch Kit (HD/Race) Toyota Supra NT/Truck - TS3-HDR4
And it said Lexus IS300 2002 - 6cyl, 3.0l on the bill. That'd mean 2jzge, and that means w58?

Last edited:

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
The center hub of the clutch disk could probably fit in the center of the flywheel. It's not impossible. There's a few different possibilities. Try bleeding it, and see what happens. Pull the fork boot at the bell housing, and look in there with a flashlight and a mirror. See how everything looks, and if the bearing is contacting the p.p. correctly.

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
Are there any visible ''cosmetic'' differences between push and pull type pressure plates?
So if I'm going to do what Cuel said, then I'll know maybe what to inspect.

E: I remembered my dad snapping some pics, too bad they are...bad:nono:

Attachments

• DSCF3113.JPG
    DSCF3113.JPG
    599.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
HommerSimpson;1017874 said:
2#Clutch disk is hitting the pressure plate....as in the edge of the disk is touching the pressure plate keeping it spinning... I have acually ran into this a few times...

Hommer was right on the 2nd point. The turbo car clutch disk was the problem.
So I guess the disks are NOT interchangeable (though NA-T FAQ and IJ said they were....maybe it's Europe thing, don't know). Everything was pressed together so I couldn't even put the car in gear when it was off...
:)