Clutch Problem

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Okay. Here's the story. I was driving down the highway and a truck was slowing down in front of me to make a turn, so I pushed in the clutch to grab 4th gear. The pedal fell to the floor, so I pulled over. I pulled the clutch pedal back up, and then tried to push it back down. Now it wont go back down. I looked in the res and it barely had any fluid in it. The carpet is brown with clutch fluid, but I think this is from the old master leaking.

To get it back home I just pushed the clutch safety switch and then started it in neutral, rolled it down the hill and shifted without the clutch into first and all the way home.

Anyway, prior to this I just put in a brand new car quest master cylinder because my old one was leaking. I did a R154 and Turbo swap and used the slave cylinder off the transmission so the slave is used, master is new. Clutch flex line is brand new as well. Also, I noticed about a week ago that occasionally the clutch would stick about halfway up when releasing it. Not like completely stick as to where I could take my foot off and it would still be stuck, but just not smooth like it should be.

My dad thinks that the master cylinder is defective, my friend thinks there's something clogging the line, or the new soft line collapsed, and I think the slave kicked the bucket. Your ideas?

Sent from my terrible HTC Rezound using Tapatalk. Don't buy HTC...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There's only 3 parts. Master slave and line. So what ever one is wet.

Sounds like a master tho.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
Sounds like the master, but at the same time it is a used slave and its common to replace both master and slave at the same time. They're like "shoes" they like to wear out in pairs. Those and Calipers

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
when it comes to the master and slave really just need the proper toyota parts or there going to fail as the quality is shit to say the very least

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Well. It's not the master. I heard a new problem when driving it up my driveway to swap masters. A nice rattle with the engine running. So I popped off the inspection covers, and was just wondering if somebody could post up a pic of what a proper R154 clutch looks like? I don't remember what it all looked like, and I didn't disassemble the pressure plate and TOB when I put the clutch and transmission in. So I really don't have much of a clue as to what it's supposed to look like.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Dropped the transmission yesterday. Definitely found the problem. The clutch release hub was worn enough for the snap ring holding it together to fall off. Ordered a new hub kit and release bearing and we should be up and running in a week or so!

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Don't worry, I will. Haha it was a bit of s surprise when I pulled the transmission out and the pressure plate fell off when I pulled the trans out from under the car lol

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
p1881898_1.jpg

p1881898_2.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Improper assembly :)

I had a hunch it was that, but you didn't say if you heard grinding when you tried to push the pedal down or anything, so didn't want to smash your dreams it was something simple :)

Definately replace all the parts with new ones, it's cheap insurance (who likes dropping transmissions?)

This should help:
p1881908_1.jpg

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I didn't assemble it. :p pulled the trans off my parts car and then put it on my car

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Personally I don't know of another clutch like this one, so rightfully so. But they should still RTFM

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
lol +1 RTFM i hate shops the only time i go to a shop is for tires, the last time was when i was having an over heating problem on my old supra and they couldnt do f all for 200$...

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
Its too light to be anything bit plastic. Oh well. That washer was missing before, and I'm thinking that's why it all fell apart.
But I got the clutch and tranny back in the car.. found out my slave kicked the bucket too. Great lol