clutch disc question

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sprung has springs on the disc to soften the engagement.

Un sprung disc are slightly harsher.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I would stick with a sprung for a street driven car. I have a 6 puck act sprung, and it will chatter some here and there. You get used to it. I have not driven a unsprung, but I would imagine it would chatter quite a bit more.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There's actually 2 springs in a clutch disk. The center springs (which is the difference in this case) are to reduce drivetrain shock. There's also a marcel spring, but you won't find that on (most) puck clutches. That's what eases engadgement and eliminates chatter. It's located between the faces of a normal clutch disk.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Dm stage 3 setup is nice. I have it and love it. Not too heavy on foot either. Had mine in for 2 years now. No issues.

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
hvyman;1889049 said:
Dm stage 3 setup is nice. I have it and love it. Not too heavy on foot either. Had mine in for 2 years now. No issues.
id like to get the stage3 but alot of my friends say not to get it. because of it not being able to slip at all and therefore, traffic would suck to be in.
im scared on what clutch to get.haha. it going to be mostly daily driven. and occassional strip use. with my current mods, from what i seen in others build, i think ill be around 350-375ish ball park hp. hopefully speaking that is.

ive been thinking about this for acouple months now. its just so hard for me.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya my dm stage 3 is no biggy in traffic. If its dead stop foot will get tired after a while regardless. I daily mine. Mostly street tho.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
don't go for a overly aggressive pressure plate like I did.

I regret my decision everytime I have to take off (I don't mind normal chatter from a 6-puck)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
shipkiller;1889271 said:
don't go for a overly aggressive pressure plate like I did.

I regret my decision everytime I have to take off (I don't mind normal chatter from a 6-puck)

As a general rule PP won't affect engadgment, it just makes the pedal very heavy and can do thrust bearing damage (looking at you RPS MAX 3200lb PP)

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
AbsoluteSpeed;1889239 said:
Here are some comparisons. http://smartsupra.com/parts/drivetrain/clutch/7m-gte/
(I've been building this site in my spare time and it is far from finished)

With your estimated power levels you could easily stick with a full face clutch and have stock drivability or go to a 6 puck if you plan on upping the power in the future (and eventually we all want more power :evil2: )

thanks that does help a bit.
just another question, what does clamp load increase mean?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mcammarn;1889315 said:
just another question, what does clamp load increase mean?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the actual pressure increase on the disc from the PP, right?