Cluster issues

paulb1320

Apr 21, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hi guys,

I am in the process of finishing my 1JZ swap, I have the engine in and running but my cluster is acting really weird and I'm having a few problems with it.
1) When I first started the car the tach worked but it was incorrect (showing idle at 200 when around 900 and showing 500 when revved to around 3000), now it doesn't work at all, I have run a wire straight from the ignitor to the M1 plug but it still doesn't work.
2) None of the gauges ever worked, except for the tach but that quit too. Even the clock doesn't work

The cluster was functional when I pulled it out of my parts car (1990, and mine is an 87 both turbo), and the door open and the ABS lights work but none of the other ones work.
I pulled and reinstalled the dash, is it possible that I missed a ground? I don't think I did but I was reading through the TEWD and it says the ground for the clock/cluster is "R/B no. 4 set bolt" where is that?
I am having the 1JZ break-up issue and I can't pull the codes to figure it out.
What could be the problem here?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Need I ground the brown wire on the m1 plug. But usually that's for the temp gauge.

Need a 7m oil pressure sensor for the oil gauge.

Make sure all your wiring is right.

Have you tried putting the 87 cluster in?
Check engine light is w pin on Ecu and goes to m1 plug.

paulb1320

Apr 21, 2012
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the reply
Ground is good, I even cut the brown wire on the dash side of the plug and ran it straight to the body and still nothing.
I have the DM adapter and the stock 7M pressure sensor, I'll check the wiring for the M1 plug again tomorrow but I tripled checked it before installing the engine so it should be good. I don't have an 87 cluster, never got one with the car that's why I'm using the 90 one.

I'll check the continuity between the cluster plugs and the M1 plug tomorrow, any other suggestions on what to check

How would I go about checking the codes by the w pin? Is it possible with a regular light?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I just took my old 88 and put it into my 90 and it was fine. Then I had some problems with the engine harness and had to have one custom made, so i decided to go back to the old 1990 cluster. When I was stationed in Germany I had a 1987 and I put a 1992 cluster into it. The plugs on the back of the unit are the same. I did notice that one of the solder runs on the sheet on the back of the 89+ and one the -89 it is full.