Climate Control Problem.

beamer56

Nov 2, 2006
Middlebury, VT
Hello All. This is my first post on this forum. I'm havin a problem with my blower motor not working. Had the car 4 years now (87 N/A) and it has been very good to me because I try to take good care of it. I just recently replaced the blower resitor because low fan speed never worked. All of a sudden, no blower function. Climate control fuse is o.k. Relay clicks from the control panel, and i checked the circuit breaker which just seems to spring up & down when the rest button is pushed. No click so I think it's good. I have juice going into the control panel and all the door modes are working. The one thing I forgot to mention is that there is no juice into (out of) the harness to the resistor when I activate any of the blower speeds. Could my control panel be bad? This is driving me nuts. Changing my head gasket two years ago seems now like a piece of cake next to this.
Sorry for such a long post but I really wanna drive my Toy this summer.
Thanks in advance.
Ron, in Middlebury VT

Medallion Man

Moneypit
Jul 6, 2006
Devon - UK
Hi,

a bit sad that no-one as replied to you....

Have you tried putting the old one back in (not that I think that will sole it).

it sound like something has lost contact

it might be work reseating some of the other connections in the area, pull the side panel off and check there as well.

Yeah it could be your control panel, I've seen some info on fixing dry solders on the board.
if you want I'll try and find them and post a link.

by the way, how much did the resistor pack cost you?

Toyota do them over here for £20 but I made my own resistor coil and replaced the damaged one much cheaper, I've also sold a few to people on our local site for a couple of pounds.

beamer56

Nov 2, 2006
Middlebury, VT
Medallion Man said:
Hi,

a bit sad that no-one as replied to you....

Have you tried putting the old one back in (not that I think that will sole it).

it sound like something has lost contact

it might be work reseating some of the other connections in the area, pull the side panel off and check there as well.

Yeah it could be your control panel, I've seen some info on fixing dry solders on the board.
if you want I'll try and find them and post a link.

by the way, how much did the resistor pack cost you?

Toyota do them over here for £20 but I made my own resistor coil and replaced the damaged one much cheaper, I've also sold a few to people on our local site for a couple of pounds.

beamer56

Nov 2, 2006
Middlebury, VT
Hi back,

Well, people get busy. I definitely understand that. The resistor cost me $27.00 0ver here. Cheap enough when you consider that by the time I decided to replace it, it fell apart in pieces when I removed it. Low speed never worked for the 4 years I've owned it. Anyway, turns out the blower motor was fried. Couldn't figure out the wiring for the longest time. My friend who is also my mechanic finally figured that the system has to ground itself into and then back out of itself to all the other pieces in the climate control to work. We had tested for juice to the resistor harness and since there was none at the time we assumed the problem was before that harness. Not so. Juice has to complete through the blower motor then to the resistor. 50 bucks for a brand new blower motor and then, success.
Sorry for the long post but thank you for your reply.
Ron, in Middlebury, VT