cleaning the taillights

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
My car is not running right now so I'm going through and fixing all the little crap that a 20 year old 190,000 miles car breaks or wears out. I noticed when i press my brakes I seen little bugs and crap in my tails. Question,how can i seperate the houseing from the lens? I really don't want to speed 200 bucks to get rid of some bugs and perfect tail lamps.

thanks
caleb

Kylar27

Supra Lover
Oct 2, 2005
Connecticut
Have you tried removing the tail lights from the car and maybe using some compressed air or water to clean them out? As long as you remove the bulb cluster I dont see any harm in doing this.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
You can clean them pretty good when off the car, just take out the bulbs. So long as the bugs aren't between the lense/platic then you're golden. If bugs are inside, well ... talk to Tekdues or look at his thread on how to seperate tail lights ;) (lots of work)

88supraTT

Oct 2, 2005
around the bend
TobyCat said:
You can clean them pretty good when off the car, just take out the bulbs. So long as the bugs aren't between the lense/platic then you're golden. If bugs are inside, well ... talk to Tekdues or look at his thread on how to seperate tail lights ;) (lots of work)

there in the lens, so now ill search for that thread

thanks for the start