Cleaning and Painting block

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
Ok so heres the deal. I want to clean my engine bay and block and also paint the block. I wont be able to take the block out unfortunately. I will be cleaning all the parts i take off also. I was wondering if i take the head off will i have to shave the head before i put it on again? I already redid the gasket and had the head shaved once if that makes a difference. Another concern i have is leaving the car over winter with no oil or coolant in it. I live in Wisconsin so it can get pretty cold. Let me know please. Thanks in advance.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
It would really make it a ton easier just to disconnect the engine harness and pull the it with the engine that way you don't have to pull off the intake manifold befor pulling the motor.

This would make cleaning so much faster and easier and really at the most it will take you 1 and half to pull the motor

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
icey756;1784582 said:
Can u answer any of my other questions?

you should be okay if you don't deck the head again. Just make sure to inspect and clean it very well before reusing. Also i don't know what Head bolts/studs you used but if there stock do not re use them!!

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
Haha. Hell no i didnt use stock. I have arp head bolts but im not sure if i can reuse them. What about leaving the car without coolant or oil?

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
rub the surface of the block ( top ) and cylinder walls with WD40 and you should be ok. I had the same problem 2 years ago when I was in Germany. It gets just as cold there as in WI. I used WD40 and my stuff was fine.

raysupra

7m Love
Jan 18, 2010
Mustang, OK
or some spray white lithuium grease on stuff you don't want to rust.. or silicone... or boat oil vapor stuff, and if you do take the head off the block... I wouldn't put anything on the block or head surface.. just make sure their spotless when you mate them and the New HG back together

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
OK so i did manage to pull the engine. I am thinking about talking it somewhere to get acid dipped or a heat bath. Which ever one its called. I took off the head and the only things on the block right now are basically anything thats under the oil pan after removed from the block. I dont really want to take the pistons and rods out of the block myself since i dont have experience with that. Im hoping they can do that. Also I'm afraid they may say i need all these other parts just so they can run me up. So the plan is to take the head and block to get super cleaned. If all seems ok on their end. Hopefully not too costly. Now i just have to clean everything else. I may be able to sand blast some smaller stuff with a friends bench booth or something. But what can i use on some of the bigger stuff that wont fit inside? I've heard good things about citrus based cleaner. I was thinking that and some wire brushes and a high grit sand paper. Just need some opinions on these things for people with more knowledge.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I would machine the head before installing a new hg. Standard practice is to install the head gasket after the head has Ben machines everytime.

Doesn't mean you can't get away with it. But it's not recommended.

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
the thing is i dont know how much more i can get it milled down. The last guy said he took off just below the maximum thats allowed or something. I can remember how much he took off exactly. Maybe 11/1000 of an inch? I wish i remembered