Chrysler Conquest

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ok, heres the scoop...

He told me he bought it from a wrecking yard, hoping to restore it since he used to own one when he was younger, but it needs work and he doesnt have enough skills to work on it. he says the body is straight and he thinks the frame is straight too.. i'm not sure if its a unibody, and he probably doesnt know either but i could research that...

he said the engine has some modifications and is running rich, and has some oil leaks
...and its the 2.6L turbo engine.

so what do you guys think now?

probably a money pit huh....

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Yes, a money pit. But a very unique one!

Also, any old sports car is going to be a money pit...it's just the nature of the beast. You can't expect to make a profit by buying a car...it isn't an investment like buying a house.

loki2043

Jan 23, 2006
Portland, OR
ive got a friend with one of those cars, pretty sweet IMO, but yeah, parts are scarce and expensive. but hes getting some standalone setup with the injectors and harness for like 800 buckos

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
loki - wow...good deal

jmanbball - thanks

well i'm probably going to take a look at it, but i most definitely wont buy it... unless its got some serious mods underneath the hood...which i doubt. he said it has been modified, but i cant say how much...

and i dont really have time or money to work on and paint or buy parts for a car...

then there's this BMW 325is for 1200 near me...but it runs well.. i'm looking at it for fun tomorrow. 230k miles though. :-/

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
johnathan1 said:
Why are you looking at car's? Is there something wrong with your Supra?

no.

lol...i guess i have this bad habit of trying to find a good deal when i should just save my money and forget about every other car.

but my car has had a couple BHG's i think and i'm really afraid of rod-knock. i'm slightly tempted to find a car i would like more (yeah right) or one that would cost less to drive...

a bmw325i or the other 4-banger conquest probably would...or at least i thought.

I read this article and no longer want one: http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=642

frankly, i was imagining a simple reliable 4-cylinder engine that would be fun to drive. i shouldnt have got my hopes up. it seems they commonly had intake problems because of some weird dual-injector (only two for all cylinders) and if this one is running rich it probably has issues that will be expensive to remedy. i might just look for the heck of it to see if maybe it has some serious engine mods...but i doubt it.

loki0234 said:
bmw = big money wasted

get an mr2

Really? i've heard they can be reliable. i've always liked the 3-series and 1200 isnt bad...unless 230k miles is almost dead for that engine. i cant say its very alive either....i dunno? i always wanted an mr2 but got the supra instead... none of the mr2's i found came at the right time. if i could get one now i would though...

maybe i should just stop looking. these cars just caught my eye... and i dont know what i'd do if i got RK in my supra. i'm just a worry wart and i've found that the supra isnt the best car to have when you worry as much as i do. i dont know much about 325's though so maybe i'm just bumbling around the car world like an idiot trying to find something too good to be true...

Mick91MkIII

Jul 21, 2006
Reno, NV
I would get the 325is over the Conquest. Lighter and better handling chassis, and a better engine. The 4G63 swap is a bit of a PITA, plus Mitsu doesn't really make a strong RWD transmission. Turn the wick up much past 300HP and you become proficient at tranny swaps. The M20 in the 325is can handle some boost very well. Plus, the rest of the drivetrain can handle it. There are many people out there that build up the engine, and 500HP is nothing. They made so many E30 cars that they are not that expensive. There is such a huge aftermarket for them over the Starquest cars. Plus an Inline 6 sounds really good.

230K is nothing on a BMW engine. Even if it is tired, the M20 is cheap.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
well i'll go look at it, if my friend's mom doesnt buy it first (damn it!!!)

their camry just blew up and their other car doesnt work so i think they're in the market for a new car... blahhhh

hopefully its a 5spd...if it is...i'm going to love it.

and its black...with a tan interior...so i wont be deviating from the colors of my car much. but i dont want to ditch the supra. maybe i could have both. LOL!! yeah right.

500 hp? on a 325is engine?? not the m3......

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
lol?? i have something sporty...and the 325 is sporty!

don't you think?

hbmw1a.jpg

you cant think that isnt sporty... unless you were being sarcastic... i think the front end on these cars is awesome... so is the supra's.. dont get me wrong here, i love my supra. i'm just trying to think into the future and see what i can afford.

dbrighton.jpg

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I always liked the E30 BMW's although i didnt like that you in the US crippled them engine wise (thanks to emissions) and added those STUPID federal 5mph bumpers which made the car look daft.

If you do get one, make sure its the 2.5 litre or higher and then get a turbo kit for it :D

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
how many different US engines are there?

and since you seem to like the idea and possibly know about it...

is this an engine strong enough to hold considerable boost without much modification? or do you have to rip it apart and build it up?.... i wouldnt do it anyway i dont have the money (obviously...if i did i'd keep the supra)

because for example...the starion...it can get really good but you have to weld the head to keep it from cracking, get new studs, and new pistons so it doesnt explode... whereas an engine like the 2jz can get a few bolt ons and handle double/triple HP gains... no internal mods...

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
Kai said:
I always liked the E30 BMW's although i didnt like that you in the US crippled them engine wise (thanks to emissions) and added those STUPID federal 5mph bumpers which made the car look daft.

If you do get one, make sure its the 2.5 litre or higher and then get a turbo kit for it :D
2.5L engines are ftw:)

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I dont think you ever got any of the 4-cylinder M10 engines in the E30's, and the 6-cyl M20 engines you had were detuned a fair bit for the US market. BMW engines are strong, although not perfect.

I've worked on a 323i and a 320i before, but only top end stuff. Americans might call it 'needlessly overengineered' but to me, thats a good thing. Bear in mind these engines are going to be SOHC 12v affairs and not DOHC ones. They are however, easy enough to tune.

Any BMW engine and almost every BMW gearbox, will fit into the E30 chassis. I've even seen conversions that use the 635i's M30 'Big Six' engine. They're good engines to tune - and almost bulletproof - verrrry reliable. 250bhp, 280lb/ft in standard trim, too.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
well i'd be sticking to the stocker. at least for a long while. i'll be heading off or staying here and going to college and probably wont have time or money to build a car, but then again maybe i'm wrong. i dont know. i'll know my future plans in a few weeks though.

whats wrong with a SOHC anyway?

err...woah...wait a minute... exaust and intake valves are run on one cam? thats...weird? is it bad?

i got used to the DOHC 7m design i guess...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
E30 BMW's are far from Big Money Wasted IMO. I'm good friends with a kid that drives the shit out of his 318is and autocrosses it and DD's it. He's never had a single engine problem and he's at 180K, with a TON of abuse and racing.

The 318is is still peppy and its the baby of the E30's so a 325is should be a fun ride.

Wills7MGTE

( . )( . )'s RULE!!!!
May 12, 2006
Jackson, MO
www.myspace.com
Any project car destined for boost or high boost needs to be rebuilt anyways, especially if the car is older than a year or two, I don't like seeing a great setup make one good run and throw a rod, be smart take your time build it strong and reliable.