Checking engine before buying

Nick Squire

Aug 8, 2013
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Hey guys,

On tuesday I'm supposed to go see a 7mgte locally that I'm looking at buying, so far it looks like a crazy deal there are just some questions I want to run by you guys.

He's selling an already disassembled complete 7mgte, only thing missing is the turbo. He claims new rings, new un-used arp head studs, new metal headgasket, all new engine gaskets. Head and block cleaned and machine already.
He has all of this for sale for $400! Not sure what prices you guys are looking at for a 7m but here a jdm 7m runs $1300. Needless to say I jumped on this opportunity as I was in the market for a 7m to build on a stand while my other is in the car.

HERE is where my questions come. He says he's not sure if he has the paperwork for the machine work done. If he doesn't then that means I have no Idea how much of the head and block was taken off and so I'll just have the headgasket he has as reference, do I trust he chose the right thickness? In my experience and my gut I would say noooo, never trust a random guy with specs. I'm going to bring a straight edge and feelers to check the block and head, but other than that is there anyway of telling how much was taken off, a reference point on the block i can measure?

Thanks!