Check out whats coming from my turbo!

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
p1429901_1.jpg

I just did an oil and filter change this morning, hit my intake with a little carb cleaner and a new air filter, changed my tranny fluid last night, tightened up my bypass valve because of a boost leak, pulled off my lower intercooler hose and oil over the walls of the intercooler!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
that is being pulled from the PCV system (the pipe that is connected to the intake covers).

So as long as it is not puddled in the IC. a film of that is quite normal.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
figgie;1429902 said:
that is being pulled from the PCV system (the pipe that is connected to the intake covers).

So as long as it is not puddled in the IC. a film of that is quite normal.

When I pulled it, it didnt really seem like a film though, I dont know how much should be in the IC but as soon as I pulled the pipe, the oil dripped a few times.

When I was changing out my bypass valve a while back I noticed a little oil in there too. not alot at all but there was still some oil. But last night when I tightened up my bosch bpv, it was clean!

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
sparkplug619;1429906 said:
When I pulled it, it didnt really seem like a film though, I dont know how much should be in the IC but as soon as I pulled the pipe, the oil dripped a few times.

When I was changing out my bypass valve a while back I noticed a little oil in there too. not alot at all but there was still some oil. But last night when I tightened up my bosch bpv, it was clean!

the next question would be how many miles between the times you checked.

Dripped out, still fine. If you wouldhave said a stream came out of your IC pipe. Then start focusing on the turbo to see if it has any play.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
figgie;1429910 said:
the next question would be how many miles between the times you checked.

Dripped out, still fine. If you wouldhave said a stream came out of your IC pipe. Then start focusing on the turbo to see if it has any play.

only about 40 mi.

I dont know if this is correct but in my n/a my oil pressure will be a little bit below 40 at idle. I gave my car a fresh oil change a pureone filter and 6 qt of 5w-20 synthetic oil, when at operating temps, it idles at the line before 40, 20 i believe. Is this normal or too low?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
some times oil seals in turbo leak out oil and it pools in the ic and ic pipes. From what you describe. You should be OK. Its normal to have some oil in the ic pipes if you run it hard.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
S.A. supra;1430362 said:
some times oil seals in turbo leak out oil and it pools in the ic and ic pipes. From what you describe. You should be OK. Its normal to have some oil in the ic pipes if you run it hard.

Thanks for the info!

Where is my oil pressure gauge supposed to sit though? I mean with a fresh oil change shouldnt it be at the 40?

88_7mge

N/A Lover
Dec 1, 2008
Hemet, CA
dude, 5w-20 oil is WAAAAAY too thin for that engine. toyota recommended 5w-30 when the motor was fresh. you should be going thicker. Most guys i know with older boosted engines are running 20w50 oil compensate for the wear on the engine. Im assuming the motor has some miles on it. at least go to a 10w-40 oil for now, see if that brings your oil pressure up. if not, then try 20w50, or look into replacing the oil pump...i've got one with 80K on it out of a 89 turbo motor for sale. lol

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
88_7mge;1430642 said:
dude, 5w-20 oil is WAAAAAY too thin for that engine. toyota recommended 5w-30 when the motor was fresh. you should be going thicker. Most guys i know with older boosted engines are running 20w50 oil compensate for the wear on the engine. Im assuming the motor has some miles on it. at least go to a 10w-40 oil for now, see if that brings your oil pressure up. if not, then try 20w50, or look into replacing the oil pump...i've got one with 80K on it out of a 89 turbo motor for sale. lol

5w20 too thin? crazy, I was scared to go any thicker cuz the oiling problems I am always hearing about! Ill read up and drain this stuff out!