Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
Mk3runner;1319305 said:
LOL that was on mythbusters
damn really??

what happened?

*edit*

did some google searching and it does work.

63shew.png

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
I think I understand the idea here. Moth balls are made of naphthalene, which is basically two benzene molecules that are connected. Though naphthalene isn't flammable, benzene is. I suppose it's possible that being dissolved in gasoline, or the conditions inside the engine pre-combustion could cause the naphthalene molecules to break apart into into benzene molecules, and thereby improve the combustion characteristics of the combined fuel mixture.

If this is the case, it could work similarly to nitrous oxide, which is not technically flammable by itself, but provides an elevated amount of oxygen to the fuel in the cylinder when it's broken down by the pressure/heat during compression. More O2 plus + more fuel = more power.

I really don't know for sure if this something I would test out myself, but I know benzene was used as an additive in gas in the post-WW2 era. A number of non-english speaking countries even use the two words (gasoline and benzene) interchangeably. In German specifically, gasoline is called "benzin".

Hope this makes sense without being too wordy...

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Gene

Napthalene is an aromatic that also falls in the same family as Benzine but more importantly, Toluene and Xylene which happen to be two major octane boosters. Out of all the aromatics, napthalene is the least dangerous as benzine WILL get absorbed by the skin. Toluene not so much but the VOC of it will have you flying high like a kite.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
figgie;1329927 said:
Gene

Napthalene is an aromatic that also falls in the same family as Benzine but more importantly, Toluene and Xylene which happen to be two major octane boosters. Out of all the aromatics, napthalene is the least dangerous as benzine WILL get absorbed by the skin. Toluene not so much but the VOC of it will have you flying high like a kite.

Actually by posting this thread i think i found much better alternatives from what people have posted. :biglaugh:

Good to always know more :)
Thanks