Cheap Speedometer Cable Fix (Manual Tranny Turbo Models)

MmmBoost

DDS Performance
Well guys, here is what I found out:

My cable was broken a long time ago. Im talking about the long, 2-piece cable for turbo 5 speed Supras. I decided to start ordering the parts to fix it when I came upon a discovery. I ordered a cable ($7.91 p/n ATP-Y-844) from RockAuto.com, thinking it was just the short piece. I was quoted a price of 149 dollars from Toyota for the whole thing. But, when I got the cheap cable from RockAuto, i noticed it was much longer than 14 inches. It was actually the same length as the stock cable, well almost... However, it appears as if it was for the auto tranny models, seeing as the plastic plug didnt mate up with my 5 speed gauge cluster. Here is what you can do for a quick, cheap, and easy fix:

1. Take your old speedo cable out. Yoiu actually only need the top half. Separate the white plastic holder first, then pull the cable out thru the firewall.
2. Now you need to separate the green plastic piece from the cable. Grab the cable with some pliers or vice grips and pull on the green piece while twisting. It comes off really easy!
3. And we do the same to the new cable. But be careful not to grip it too hard or the cable might kink and be rendered useless. Once its off, you need to put about a 2 or 3 inch piece of 1/4" shrink wrap around the very end of the new cable. Shrink it on there using a hair dryer, heat gun, or a lighter.
4. Take the firewall grommet off of the old cable and put it on the new cable, noting the direction it should face.
5. Finally, take the green plastic piece, and very carefully press it over the new cable until the tip of the new cable is just at the end of the green "cup"

And thats it! The new cable should fit right in to the dash just like stock. The bottom part isnt quite long enough to reach all of the stock cable holders, but you should be able to figure something out to keep it tied up. It doesn't use a second piece; The cable just goes all the way back to the screw on fitting on the back of the tranny (passenger side). I will be putting some heat resistant sleeves over mine where it is close to the exhaust piping also.

Last edited: