Charging system not charging

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
So I got my alternator tested and it tested good. Got a new battery and checked all the fuses, Don't know whats wrong. Battery light comes on and so does the brake light, But I think the brake light is in sequence with the alternator wiring. Any ideas.

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
k cant till monday. cars in the shop at school. a know when it was started we had a voltmeter on the battery and it wasnt charging it stayed at like 12.4 and didnt go up and after a while went down

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
polobai;1236174 said:
check the main fuse for the alternator, its located in the engine bay fuse box and needs to be unbolted.

polobai;1236776 said:
Check for continuity on that fuse, when mine blew it looked fine but it had a tiny crack in it.

If the 100A fusible link is blown, the starter will not work.

Two fuses that need to be checked are the 7.5A Ignition and 15A Engine fuses. Both are in the drivers side kick panel.

Fonz - Suggest you test the alternator per the TSRM link I posted.

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
see when I took it to oreillys when they tested it, he hooked neg to the body of the alt. positive to the post. and it passed, What about the voltage Regulator? He never plugged anything into that slot

sen98037

Jan 21, 2009
Lynnwood, WA
FatalStylez;1236552 said:
k cant till monday. cars in the shop at school. a know when it was started we had a voltmeter on the battery and it wasnt charging it stayed at like 12.4 and didnt go up and after a while went down

You sure you have the right sized alternator for your setup?