charging/low voltage problem

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
2 alternators and 3 batters later this charging problem still wont go away,
the afc voltage level reads 8.9 -10.4. i cant figure out why my voltage is so low.
the alternators have been tested their supposedly good and every time i take my new battery to get checked im told its good then car reads 12v for a few days doesnt break up under boost and is great and then.... back to 8-11v again and same old problem, anyone ever have this problem? can it be the one of the three wires on the plug?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
yes it could. get a volt meter and check the voltage with the car running should be around 13.8 to 14v.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
only thing i can think of is the charging wires and ground if thy arent good they wont work

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
Same thing I'd say, grounds and cables. Keep it mind proper charging isn't just alt and batt related proper engine grounds go along with it to.

Mines a solid 14v when running. Then again I got 1 gauge welding cable for charging. But good stock sized cable works just as fine. Maybe your lacking a ground somewhere, high resistance could also be.

Idk just some random thoughts

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
im gonna try some new cables ground and positive Monday or Tuesday i could definitely need to ground engine strait to the battery

Danlo

May 27, 2009
North Carolina
charlesshen;1348845 said:
im gonna try some new cables ground and positive Monday or Tuesday i could definitely need to ground engine strait to the battery

Do you have the Brake and the Alternator light on when the engine is running?
If so, I had the same problem about a month ago. Atlernator was acting crazy on me. I took it to the store and it was fine. But they gave me a new one still. The new alternator was doing the same thing.
I took the car to the electromechanic and he found the problem right away.

It was the 15A fuse for the ECU-IG at the J/B no 1. The fuse was not bad, but it was not making proper contac. The guy just crimped the legs of the fuse holder and done. I could not believe it.:3d_frown:
This fuse is located inside at the left kick plate. In the first row from the bottom. It is the third from left to right.
I hope this helps.
Danlo

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
Danlo;1348872 said:
Do you have the Brake and the Alternator light on when the engine is running?
If so, I had the same problem about a month ago. Atlernator was acting crazy on me. I took it to the store and it was fine. But they gave me a new one still. The new alternator was doing the same thing.
I took the car to the electromechanic and he found the problem right away.

It was the 15A fuse for the ECU-IG at the J/B no 1. The fuse was not bad, but it was not making proper contac. The guy just crimped the legs of the fuse holder and done. I could not believe it.:3d_frown:
This fuse is located inside at the left kick plate. In the first row from the bottom. It is the third from left to right.
I hope this helps.
Danlo

thanks ill try that i went over grounds yesterday and all were solid

charlesshen

Jun 5, 2007
orlando
tacoma_kyle;1349463 said:
Is the voltage regulator built into the alternators? I think they usually are, but is that tested when the alternator is 'tested?'

yes its built in and no its not properly tested i think it may be at the root of all my problems im gonna try a 14v Fitzall-220
220AMP Alternator for Imports and Domestics from power bastards anyone here ever use one of these? http://powerbastards.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Fitzall%2D220

tacoma_kyle

Apr 12, 2009
Klamath Falls, OR
You think 220 amps is safe for your vehicle? Holy crap thats a lot, but....it wont draw it if you dont need it.

The power equivalent @115v is about 23 amps. Crap you can weld off that easily lol.

Steve_N

Mar 31, 2005
Louisville KY
www.cardomain.com
charlesshen;1349491 said:
thanks ill try that i went over grounds yesterday and all were solid

I went through the same thing & even checked the grounds just as you. Still had the problem. Come to find out It was a bad Neg. Bat cable & Bat ground. I disconected the Neg Cable & notced the cable to conector terminal was loose. A slight tug on the connector & Neg cable pulled loose. I unwraped the black cover at the Bat. connector & found tarnnished, coroded wire. I cleaned it up real good & installed new terminal connector & 4 Gauge grnd wire Battery to fender. Now I get 14+ volts, 13.5+ with all lights Etc. on.

Good Luck