Chambers Build Thread - "Daily Eighty-Seven"

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Thanks, with the spacer from the Quantum-Auto kit I didnt want to change out throwout bearings and have to deal with shims and all that so I just kept using the Howe, but now I'm going with the QM unit with a new spacer from QA, they are the same but I wanted a new one for the new unit.

Small update, pulled the trans, the brake fluid began to dry up and "oxidize" it was all over the inside of the bell housing, after a little cleaning with PB orange degreaser it started to clean up well. I removed the Howe unit for the last time, good riddince... Then pulled the engine to swap manifolds, so far the o2 sensors need to be relocated and new engine mounts may be needed to fit the 3" down pipe between the frame, exhaust header, and engine mount, our first attempt at this failed, the engine sat to far up and to far over to the drivers side... back to the drawing board... Pics:

img0689kb.jpg

img0686mc.jpg

img0698bn.jpg

img0693m.jpg

img0696uv.jpg

Holset Supra Mafia?

img0691r.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the post.

We did some moch ups with the stock headers and some exhaust pipe for turbo placement. There were a few problems with them so we thought about making log type headers, then when looking over the internet we found that the Sequoia (2UZ-FE) had the perfect style header for a turbo application.

img0712fg.jpg

img0711ys.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks for the reply, My goal from the beginning for that version of my car was to make it as factory looking as possible.

I have an update, this past weekend my friend and I started on the turbo placement. This was the first time we have done this type of fabrication, working with pipe is very different than plate but we are getting used to it, I did the cutting and moch up, and my friend did the welding.

First I cut the ends of the manifolds so I could rotate them in a more desirable direction:

imag0091vt.jpg

First moch up with duct tape!

imag0093g.jpg

imag0094ff.jpg

Before I cut this side, 2" V-Band:

imag0090gi.jpg

imag0095sj.jpg

In this direction the o2 sensors fit:

imag0096kb.jpg

Started to tach stuff:

imag0097z.jpg

After the initial test fit and welds I hit the manifolds with some paint for header wrap:

imag0098qk.jpg

These were a PITAx3 to wrap:

imag0099be.jpg

First test fit out of the engine bay:

imag0103k.jpg

imag0104el.jpg

imag0100tr.jpg

A few pics of it in the bay:

imag0114q.jpg

imag0111i.jpg

imag0105u.jpg

Also deleted the EGR valve, and made a block off plate for the missing valve:

imag0115n.jpg

Thanks.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Yes, I almost fogot!

Got the wastegate mounted, but now I'm waiting on a downpipe flange and clamp for the Holset. Once I have that we will put the down pipe together, fashion a dump tube for the wastegate, then start plumbing the oil system.

imag0119l.jpg

Last edited:

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
Looking great man, that holset sure its gonna feel good when charging up. Any plans for making somekind of support brackets for it?? im sure its a bit heavy to just trust it into a pipe. :)

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
SURUKO;1788789 said:
Looking great man, that holset sure its gonna feel good when charging up. Any plans for making somekind of support brackets for it?? im sure its a bit heavy to just trust it into a pipe. :)

Thanks, yea I can hardly wait to drive it again and hear that turbo spool. There was talk about making an arm but we haven't fabbed anything up yet.

toy_dremer;1788872 said:
So, I went through this whole thread and I'm liking what I am seeing! Well done!!

Thanks!

eraezer

Nov 6, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Hello,
what's the reason for your manifold design? Can't you use small bends instead from each port so that you don't destroy the flow like you will do with yours?
And the same question for the pipes connecting to the turbo, the pulses from the engine banks will work against each other instead of helping each other.

It's hard to see in the pictures, but did you grind down the welds on the inside of your "T-pipe"? Due to your design, you will get more heat there than usual and if you have sharp pieces of welds sticking in, it's possible that those will burn of and possibly damage the turbo.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
eraezer;1789063 said:
Hello,
what's the reason for your manifold design? Can't you use small bends instead from each port so that you don't destroy the flow like you will do with yours?
And the same question for the pipes connecting to the turbo, the pulses from the engine banks will work against each other instead of helping each other.

It's hard to see in the pictures, but did you grind down the welds on the inside of your "T-pipe"? Due to your design, you will get more heat there than usual and if you have sharp pieces of welds sticking in, it's possible that those will burn of and possibly damage the turbo.

2nd'd. Kudos on building it yourself, but it'd be a shame if it doesn't work the way you wanted when it's all said in done. The T in the turbo up-pipe should really be replaced with a merge. As-is, the engine would probably tap out at 4k.
A 2 pipe merge won't be TOO difficult to build. Just cut 2 pipes on a 45 and form the large diameter to fit the turbo. You'll thank yourself later :)

VIB-10350-500x500.jpg