ceramic coating

suprarenz

Mar 3, 2008
nj
Looking for help with ceramic coatings. I'm building a 7m-gte engine and was wondering if there are any great benefits to using them on pistons,valves,chambers ect... The company being considered is swain tech coatings out of scottsville NY.

MK3.0dudeman

brian L.
Mar 12, 2007
North Jersey
I don't think you could ceramic coat pistons or valves.LOL

You can ceramic coat exhaust manifolds,turbo housings,downpipes and almost anything you want to but you can't do anything internal wise.

p.s. were in Jersey do you live?

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
MK3.0dudeman;1205875 said:
You can ceramic coat exhaust manifolds,turbo housings,downpipes and almost anything you want to but you can't do anything internal wise.

Oops, wrong.

Ceramic coating piston heads, cumbustion chambers, valves, exhaust ports, etc has all been done.
The benefits I can think of, though some might be negligable:

Increased thermal efficiency of combustion
cooler pistons (a good thing; the point of oil squirters) and valves
reduction of hot spots (and heat in general) in head that may cause warping
better retention of energy in exhaust gas (faster spool?)

Adjuster was one person that I think went crazy with the coatings --you could look for his engine build

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Coatings are very effective, but they're expensive and in the case of pistons, the clearances need to be different.

*waits for the gurus to come in*

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
you ceramic coat the top of the piston... not the sides, so in that aspect the bore size would stay the same. now a moly coating on the sides is a different story...

but yes, you can do all of that, pretty intense, but it can be done.

Slow66

I think with my dipstick
Apr 3, 2005
Newington, CT
Here's an idea, how about calling Swain Tech and seeing what they recommend for your setup, and what the benefits of the different types of coatings are?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Slow66;1206388 said:
Here's an idea, how about calling Swain Tech and seeing what they recommend for your setup, and what the benefits of the different types of coatings are?

Bryan..

call? What is this "calling" you speak off. I have heard of this archaic technology that is called a telephone. Apparently you press a combination of 10 numbers and then a voice speaks on the other side! But last I heard, they were like looking for the last unicorn ;)