Catch Can not catching any oil

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
I just have a quick question that hopefully someone will know the answer too. I am down for a tranny rebuild and while I wait for Marlin Crawler to return my transmission, I am going through things.

Here is my current catch can install.
2rzopyc.jpg

The air compressor filter hasn't caught more than a small drop in over 3000 miles. I am not sure it is functioning, I had a Jaz breather can before and switched to this because I had heard lots of people having success and was told I needed a line ran into the accordion hose for correct function. Do I need to just get a different catch can or do I have something hooked up wrong?

Thanks for any input and/or advice!

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
Where's the can in that drawing? It has to be before the accordion hose, something like I put in your drawing.

Attachments

• 2rzopyc.jpg
    2rzopyc.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 93

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
/\
-- His 'catch can' is the 'air compressor filter'

As far as not getting anything, the airflow is opposite what you've got drawn in there (except under boost). So 99% of the time the oil goes straight from the valve cover into the TB.

Actually you want close to what you have, but connect the TB part to the accordian with a T.

2rzopyc.jpg

Attachments

• 2rzopyc.jpg
    2rzopyc.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 100

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Oh ok! Thanks MKIII222, I never figured it had to be ran that way. Well I will hook it up that way and see if any thing results. So as to the airflow through the air compressor filter, should it be going the way I have it as pictured or reversed towards the valve covers? I take it, that it is correct as pictured minus the TB port going to the accordion hose.
Thanks again!

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
The way it's hooked now, the airflow is reversed.

The air flows into the TB. So the TB gets air from the valve covers and the accordian hose.

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Right I get you there. I just mean if I reroute the TB port, taking it off the line from the valve covers, to the line coming from the air filter to the accordion, do I need to reverse the air flow direction of the compressor air filter? As it is now it would still be going towards the accordion, I would just take the TB port off of the valve covers.
Thanks again for your help! It is most appreciated!

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Hey MDC, I only am not doing it as you suggested because I read previously here, http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43167&highlight=Catch&page=2 that individuals like JetJock and JDub recommend plumbing it with the TB port to actually use the "positive" in Positive Crankcase Ventilation as JetJock mentions in Post #15.
I will however try to research it a little more to make sure I am not mistaken,

Maybe JJ, IJ, or JDub will post and clarify this new drawing as being "more correct" or suggest a better method.:icon_bigg
axlezo.jpg

Thanks for your reply!

Last edited:

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
MDCmotorsports;1355141 said:
Cap the throttle body port and just run the two lines off of the valve cover to the compressor water trap. Then from the trap run a line to the accordion hose.

Couldn't be more wrong, unless of course it's a race car your driving...in a race.

teedoff00 there is few more threads with some good info too. jdub, IJ, and jetjock have a very good understanding of the system.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
MDCmotorsports;1355843 said:
Wow....useless posting info.

You want it to work? Follow my advice.

dumbo;1355851 said:
Couldn't be more wrong, unless of course it's a race car your driving...in a race.

teedoff00 there is few more threads with some good info too. jdub, IJ, and jetjock have a very good understanding of the system.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72991

About 3 posts down JDub and JetJock chime in telling him to change it to the way I have posted for you.

[/thread]

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Ok so I can't seem to stop researching this, since there is so much confusion on the subject. As per my most recent drawing, I have the Two valve covers --> inlet of compressor air filter and then a line from the outlet of the air filter to the accordion hose, with the TB port tied into the output line of the filter to the accordion hose.

Adjuster, has his hooked up like I currently have mine hooked up with TB inline with the valve covers.
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43167&highlight=Catch&page=5 Post #43

However, mine doesn't catch anything setup like this??? Maybe my TB port is clogged as JDub has mentioned in the above thread, will be checking that for sure.
So what does everyone think? What's the verdict? I think we've decided you have to have the TB hooked up, but inline with the valve covers like stock setup or teed into the output from the filter with both going into the accordion hose??
Thanks once again for all the help, I think this time I will get it for sure!

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
I have a but down p3 heatsink in my compressor catch can for a baffle...it does its job very well. Just something to consider.

teedoff00

14 psi boost
Dec 5, 2007
Selah, WA
Ok so I re-read the last thread you posted MKiii222, and noticed that hose #4 goes directly to accordion hose and bypasses the valve covers. So I get it now. I will be re-routing to the following:

axlezo.jpg

Thanks again for all the replies guys! It has been vary informative.
Trevor

7M-KDL

Seeking high numbers
maybe i dont know how this whole idea works but what is the point of even re-routing back to the intake pipe. why cant you tee the valve cover lines into one, run that line to your catch can, then run a line from the TB port to the other side of the CC. you should still get the vacuum from the TB but the vapors will have been 'filtered' by the CC and you save the confusion of trying to tie in a line to the intake pipe. from what i have read the intake doesnt provide vacuum anyway so what is the point?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
teedoff00;1355993 said:
Ok so I re-read the last thread you posted MKiii222, and noticed that hose #4 goes directly to accordion hose and bypasses the valve covers. So I get it now. I will be re-routing to the following:

[thumb]http://i43.tinypic.com/axlezo.jpg[/thumb]

Thanks again for all the replies guys! It has been vary informative.

Trevor

^^^ That will work as depicted.

However, I would put a check valve (PCV valve) in the line going to the accordion hose so the TB will put full vac (off boost) on the Kolbalt filter. Orient the valve so flow will only go in the direction to the accordion hose...it should be placed between the accordion hose and the TB T-fitting.

7M-KDL;1355998 said:
maybe i dont know how this whole idea works but what is the point of even re-routing back to the intake pipe. why cant you tee the valve cover lines into one, run that line to your catch can, then run a line from the TB port to the other side of the CC. you should still get the vacuum from the TB but the vapors will have been 'filtered' by the CC and you save the confusion of trying to tie in a line to the intake pipe. from what i have read the intake doesnt provide vacuum anyway so what is the point?

You are forgetting what happens under boost ;)