catalytic converter sizing for 1jzgte

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
just putting some final thoughts into my 1jzgte exhaust system for the MK3..

it will have; 550cc injectors, apexi intake/filter kit, ebay Y-pipe/3" DP, and likely run stock-ish boost for the first season or two until I commit funds to a turbo upgrade...

the rest of the exhaust will likely consist of; magnaflow 2.5" X2 (in/out) muffler in place of a resonator, running to 2.5" pipes around the diff and ending up at pair of Apexi N1 dual 'mufflers' (more like a straight through resonator) (salvaged off a 240sx - stainless mufflers - less stainless piping - good job apexi)

I will likely use only stainless pipe, resonator, cat, to help keep it clean and ever lasting...

what size of Catalytic converter should I be looking at?

3", 3.5"? will the 3.5" be too large to reach operating temps?

I am running a 1987 chassis which means no emissions test in my province, but must pass visual for retain factory components - meaning has cat/muffler/resonator (resonator not so important)

in the longer term, I would like to see this car with around 400whp after turbo upgrades etc, and would like to plan around end goals, rather than intermediate goals..

5271900375_8e6e224ca2.jpg

^using mufflers only - borrowed picture

DSC00015.JPG

^for reference - S14/240sx

images

^for reference

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Do you care if it actually acts as a catalyst? If not, simply weld in a pipe that runs through a stock cat's shell. If you do, I would suggest running a cat that matches the size of the exhaust piping for simplicity's sake. :)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya from turbos back should be 3in if on stock twins. Can get a 3in high flow and then run what ever cat back you want.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
ticket price for non-conformity to environmental regulations is somewhere in the $500CAD department..

and may cost; plates, tow, re-inspection...

so using an actual new cat would be best for me... vs ...a ruined weekend

fair enough, so 3" high flow it is then,

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
So long as it's not a bottleneck in the piping, it will be fine. I partial to the spun metalcore cats from magnaflow (raptor racing makes a bolt in version)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
#04;1878014 said:
ticket price for non-conformity to environmental regulations is somewhere in the $500CAD department..

and may cost; plates, tow, re-inspection...

so using an actual new cat would be best for me... vs ...a ruined weekend

fair enough, so 3" high flow it is then,

Smart man