Cars Totaled....

GetBoost

Sep 13, 2005
Fayetteville
A guy ran the red light and hit me on the passenger side. damage: rear quarter panel, passenger door, back right rim and suspension, drivers side rear bumper, air bag deployed.

here are my choices:
A. $4378 USSA keeps car
B. $4100 and I keep car.
C. I tell them not good enough and try to negotiate?
1990 silver supra turbo
The car had rebuilt engine from Jarco put in 3 years ago, new toyota engine wiring harness, new starter, alternator, radiator, fan with clutch, rear rotors, brand new afm, slave and master clyinder, kn intake cooleeze hp, suprasport turbo elbow, hks downpipe, rt high flow cat, nur spec cat back, greddy tt, interior was in great condition medium gray color etc.

I know its either choice B or C. but I really don't know what to do. Either way Im screwed out of the car that I spent three years restoring.. rental is due monday so I have to make a decision soon. here are the only two pics i have of the car on this computer

Attachments

• August 2 2005 035.jpg
    August 2 2005 035.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 138
  • August 2 2005 036.jpg
    August 2 2005 036.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Fight the value up and then keep the car. There is no reason not to negotiate. My old car they initially offered me like ~4k for and I was able to bring it up to ~10k, with a 2.5k salvage value. Price to fix the car was "estimated" 9k, so I took my car and their $7500 (10-2500). Oh, and since the total value of the car was higher than the estimated price to fix it, they car does not have a salvage title, which works for me :) No frame damage.

Everyone makes a huge deal out of these insurance battles, Just stay on top of them and you'll probably come out ahead.

The number one thing that helped me was finding cars similar to mine that were for sale, I was lucky because there were like 3 or 4 similar cars for sale at the time ranging from 9-14k.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
take ur motor and everything out and find whats left good ont eh car get another shell toss it on and keep running hard i had my supra totaled out drunk guy hit me in the passanger door pushing teh drivers doorinto a wall thank god for jaws for life lol so keep it cus once tis gone ur gunna miss it terribly lol im at that missing it terribyl part

GetBoost

Sep 13, 2005
Fayetteville
thanks alot man that makes me feel a little better.. It took them 3 weeks to sort through all the receipts I sent them and to come up with those numbers I listed. I would hope they would have a low and high number and their just low balling me.

webbs7mgte

Jun 2, 2008
wisconsin
yup dont worry get another mk3 and let her rip im looking at a couple yr wait till i can get a mk3 lol but ig uess its what i get for my bank not being FDIC inssured lol u could b 18 and be working for minimum wage runnign aorund in a damn costum for haloween express so dont worry man take it and dont loose that mk3 love

s000pra89T

SuFra TurVo
Apr 18, 2005
VA Beach
When my car was totalled almost 8 years back, they gave us $10k. Unfortunately, I knew nothing about the game and my parents used it as down for a Solara....but they did get me another Supra. :bigthumb:

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
battle for the value of the car and buy it back. Then part it out. I assume tail lights and other pieces can be for sale. Then find another one, swap over the motor. Theres no point of letting the whole car go.

GetBoost

Sep 13, 2005
Fayetteville
I talked to the total loss department yesterday, and told them I would not accept either offer, because it does not come close to puting me back where I was before the accident.

After them telling me there is nothing they can do about 4 times and me explaining (calmly) why they are wrong; they told me to fax them about 3 cars which I think are comparable and they would take a look at the values.

So I have found three supras for 7,000, 7,500, and 9,500 which I will send to them for Monday. Hopefully they will make me a decent offer after that.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
That's the same thing that happened to me -- my car got totaled out and they tried low-balling me -- they were looking at the value of N/A cars, not the Turbo models. I ended up faxing them a few Autotrader printouts of comparable cars, and they bumped it to 6800 after the buy-back...and that was only a couple hundred anyway. So, fight for a higher value, buy the car back, and either strip it or fix it....either way, you'll come out ahead.

GetBoost

Sep 13, 2005
Fayetteville
So I faxed the three cars from auto trader this morning (monday), how long should I wait before I call them? Not sure if I sure be following up tomorrow or wait a couple days and see if they do anything?

GetBoost

Sep 13, 2005
Fayetteville
Okay just got off the phone with the insurance and got the latest offer.
4803.30 they keep car
4500.65 I keep car
They said that they took all the cars I sent on auto trader and converted them to match the miles on my car. They said there is nothing else they can do and only other option is for me to try to get a better deal filing on my on insurance..

I'm thinking about taking one of them even though I think they could do better. At the same time I don't like having the money tied up, and Im not sure how much I would get parting the car out/crushing it:(

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
IMO, you would get more than $299 parting it out and then selling it for scrap. So the you keep it option is the better of the two you were given.

I would also suggest that you may in fact be able to repair it for the amount given if most of the work was done by yourself. Either way, I would take the $4500..

Good Luck Booster ^^

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
keep the car and try and find a matching cheap car witha a good body and just swap parts then sell the rest and buy more parts. i gave my car away and i regret it but there was only very few things that i would have kept of it your car looks like you could swap alot of parts

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
GetBoost;1137337 said:
Okay just got off the phone with the insurance and got the latest offer.
4803.30 they keep car
4500.65 I keep car
They said that they took all the cars I sent on auto trader and converted them to match the miles on my car. They said there is nothing else they can do and only other option is for me to try to get a better deal filing on my on insurance..

I'm thinking about taking one of them even though I think they could do better. At the same time I don't like having the money tied up, and Im not sure how much I would get parting the car out/crushing it:(

How many more miles did your car have than the supplied Autotrader ones? Were the Autotrader ones modded, or stock (relatively)? The key is you have to find one with similar trim and options -- mine was originally an Auto car based on the VIN, so I looked at prices on autos, within a year or two of my year.

GetBoost

Sep 13, 2005
Fayetteville
There was probably about 60,000 miles difference between mine and the cars I sent. The thing that gets me is I probably only have about 35,000 miles on the rebuilt engine, but Im not getting any credit for it. The one I sent for $7500 had the same cat-back, hard-pipe kit and tt, which is why I went with that one.

Im debating on calling a lawyer just to see what options I have since there is "nothing else they can do." On the other hand Im leaning toward just taking the 4500 and parting out what I can because Im ready for it to be over and I don't have much extra time right now with work being busy.

GetBoost

Sep 13, 2005
Fayetteville
Yeah I have all the receipts for everything ever done to the car. That was the first thing I did was fax them about thirty pages of receipts. Thats when they give all of the receipts to a third party who comes up with the value of it. The last lady I talked to said it added $400 onto the car value. The lady before that said it added $1000... Either way thats about a 10% of what I have in it which tells me everything depreciated 90% in 2-3 years.