carputer fitted

supramad77

supramad
Feb 5, 2006
Dartmouth, Devon, UK
Well i spent the last few evenings and weekends fitting a carputer to my supra.
It has XP Pro running. Took a bit of time to source all the bits and more time to make it all fit but i am pretty happy with how it looks.
I am lovin cruising down the road with music vids playing. This will be able to run sat nav and loads of other stuff.

p664338_1.jpg

p664338_2.jpg

p664338_3.jpg

p664338_4.jpg

p664338_5.jpg

supramad77

supramad
Feb 5, 2006
Dartmouth, Devon, UK
Ok well i will give you the link to the pc i got. I think it cost me £130 but £30 of that was ram upgrade, and custom menu's which had supra on them and also a picture of my car incorporated into the desk top. The monitor is a liliput 7" touch screen so no need for mouse or keyboard. This was not too difficult to do. I am no auto electrician in fact i am a builder. I just love having a go my self at stuff like this. I just fitted the shine auto body kit, real easy that was.

The power is taken from the back of the cicarette ligher. I brought one of those three way things you can plug into the ciggy lighter. I just cut the end of and soldered it into the the wiring behind the dash. I was then able to just plug in the pc and monitor.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110123377650

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
supramad77 said:
The power is taken from the back of the cicarette ligher. I brought one of those three way things you can plug into the ciggy lighter. I just cut the end of and soldered it into the the wiring behind the dash. I was then able to just plug in the pc and monitor.

I think it's a better idea to run power directly from the battery as a main power source for the PC unless the total power usage of the PC+monitor is within 7-10Amps.

I ran my with a 10GA wire off a distro block which come off a 4GA wire from the battery. The amplifier also getting juice from the distro block.

Nice setup btw.

This is mine http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44591
which is version 2.

supramad77

supramad
Feb 5, 2006
Dartmouth, Devon, UK
Damm thats looks a nice set up. Been looking for that texured paint withoit any joy.
I have a second surround that i am playing with at the moment to try and improve on my first. I would like to know how you got yours to fit so easyly. Mine was a biach. Not really enough space to fit the monitor and stereo into the gap.

89TurboPC

May 10, 2007
Beach Cities, SoCal
supramad77 said:
Damm thats looks a nice set up. Been looking for that texured paint withoit any joy.
I have a second surround that i am playing with at the moment to try and improve on my first. I would like to know how you got yours to fit so easyly. Mine was a biach. Not really enough space to fit the monitor and stereo into the gap.

I have enough space because I trim the bottom part of the screen which is the silver part in your picture. If you haven't open the screen out, that part (the buttons) is a separate board from the main board. I taped the button board behind the monitor and relocate the IR sensor so I can control the monitor setting with the remote.

supramad77

supramad
Feb 5, 2006
Dartmouth, Devon, UK
89TurboPC said:
I have enough space because I trim the bottom part of the screen which is the silver part in your picture. If you haven't open the screen out, that part (the buttons) is a separate board from the main board. I taped the button board behind the monitor and relocate the IR sensor so I can control the monitor setting with the remote.
Yes that makes sence. I always said if the monitor was flat across the bottom it would have fitted so much better. I did look into taking it apart but it looked a bit involved. I am afraid of braking it.
Also should it fail in the future i would not be able to replace the monitor without hacking up the dash board.