Car would crank but not start code 12

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
Today after work I went to leave and my car wouldn't start messed with some wires and then it started. Then later today it did the same thing so this time i jump the diagnostic box to see whats going on and I got a code 12 no NE or G to ecu I don't know what that means is there any way to know if it is my cps is bad or the clip or that harness side of the wires?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
It is likely the CPS wires/connector. What you've got is an intermittent connection causing the problem Nick pointed out. The fix is to replace sections of the wiring and related connectors.

This is a pretty common thing...

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
OK guys so i checked all the wires by the clip and over the valve covers and they are all good. The cps is in great shape looks clean. When I step on it it starts breaking up in the wot position and there is no cel I am lost on what to do and I don't have another cps to change it out with.

Warlock1

Mar 13, 2012
Surprise, AZ
It sounds like the bushngs are bad inside of the CPS allowing the shaft to wobble. This would increase or decrease the air gap between the pickups. Have to swap the CPS to verify.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
This could be many things...

Start by checking for codes. Codes can be stored without illuminating the CEL.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did you jiggle the bunch of wires where the cps ones where when it wouldn't start?

If so its most likely that the wiring is the issue.

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
yes the first time I tried to start it the motor would just crank and crank but no start that's when I checked the codes and got a 12. Messed with the wires by the cps and it started. But its never not started since that day never had to mess with the wires and no codes that I can see. When I jump the box it just blinks the same speed like there is nothing wrong. I checked the 4 wires that come from the cps and they all run into this big brown wire and it have a wire shielding around it and they are all in great shape.