Car won't start

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
I finished connecting everything in the car after the engine swap (7m still, previous blew a rod)
Anyways, as suggested I took out the EFI fuse and cranked it over to get things moving.
Then I went to put it back in and start it afterwards and nothing happened. Not even a hint of trying to fire.

Where can I start as far as why it's not firing?

Also, my engine check light and battery light are constantly on, whether or not the key is in the ignition or not. Why is that?

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
It's really freakin hard to tell you the answer to your problem without being there to check it out and play ask 20 ?'s to give an educated guess as to what's wrong...

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
starscream5000 said:
It's really freakin hard to tell you the answer to your problem without being there to check it out and play ask 20 ?'s to give an educated guess as to what's wrong...

I understand that but I don't know what else to do for help on figuring it out...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
starscream5000 said:

Yep...;)

What year is your car and was it a turbo motor? (update your profile!)
Are you using the harness & ECU that came in the car?
Did you check the ECU plugs to make sure they are all in the right slots?

We need detailed info on what was done and to what year/type motor.

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Would this have anything to do with it?
There is a white small connector attached to the harness that I couldn't find a place for it to plug into...

PICTURE:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

JDUB,
Engine is an '89 7mgte. Previous engine was a '87 7mgte
Car is a '87 turbo
Harness and ECU I'm using is from the '87. Everything I am using is off the old engine or using it from the car.

ECU plugs couldn't be mis-matched, they are 3 different sizes.

I'll update my profile...

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
SevenMKIII said:
Is your 100amp ALT fuse blown?

hmmm I'll check that...

*********EDIT:

Fuse link is still entact. The clear cover over top of it is not though. Should still work though

Last edited:

canadian

May 16, 2006
Victoria BC
Well I've got two days to fix it otherwise it will just sit as I move away.

Any other suggestions? It makes sense it may be something with the wiring since the dash lights i mentioned are on. But it should still semi-start if its a minor wiring glitch.

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
did you check the obvious? power to starter? grounds? etc? thiers a certain logic to diagnosing cars lol. if it wont even crank you check your starter, relay, b attery, wiring, grounds, etc. then move on from their

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ignitor and CPS plugged in?
Check that the ground wires are attached to the upper intake manifold.

The ECU plugs can be mixed up, trust me...seen it happen. ;)