Car wont start

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Fresno, California, United States
Update I was going to the junk yard today and my car died on the highway. The AM2 fuse was pooped don't know what that fuse dose. Changed it and when on my way. After the yard I went to get petrol then went to leave and the car just cranks and cranks no start so me and my friend pushed started it and it worked.

Then we went to his place and went to leave again and did the same thing. So we pushed it and it started fine.
White smoke came out of the exhaust on start up. It was a hot day and we were driving around town don't know if it is vapor lock or what.

If I give it gas on the first start up after parking for a min It will start fine but have to have the pedal down a bit. No other fuses are bad the car is a 87 turbo with a new fuel pump. When the car is running it idles great and runs fine.

I just turned the car off about an hour ago and had to give it gas to make it start up gain. It is 70 out side so I don't know what the deal is.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was driving a the freeway today in the afternoon and my car just shut off. Its an 87
na that I just installed a gte setup last month. Tried to start that car and all it does is

crank over but no fire. Checked to see if the fuel pump was working and its no turning on when I put the key to the on position. I jumped the +b and fp and nothing. I tried

to look for codes but there is no check engine light nothing so I can't check the cods. I checked all the fuses and there all good and I checked the main relay by the

fuel pump by swapping it out for a working one and nothing. I don't know what else to check. Would having a shitty dash harness cause the the pump not to turn on?

Like the running lights on the dash don't work not sure why maybe back dash harness.

Last edited:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Use a test light or DMM to see if there is power at the EFI fuse with the key on. Also, does the main relay click when you remove/insert it with the key on? Make sure you checked the AM2 fuse, it is a box fuse so it looks different than the other blade fuses and you may have missed it.

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
OK so put a test light of something in the fuel pump fuse spot and put the key to the on position will do. What if there is nothing when I turn the key on where should I look from there? All the little boxes in the fuse box they have the plastic see thro window on them I checked all of them there is 3 I think. Where is the AM2 box?

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Well Ive been having a prob with the back lights on the dash not working and my 3 brake light is not working and my radio turns off some times when im driving. So im going to get the dash off and put that new dash harness on and then go from there.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

CPS is in great quality and the box fuses are all good will check one more time when I get back to the car.

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
So after work I went back to the car whit a friend and took the dash out put the new dash harness in and put it all back together. That was a pain in the A tried to start the car and nothing. So I wanted to see if the car was sparking. Told my friend to crack it while I hold the first plug and socked the crap out of me then put it back in and the car started. Then right after that it died so I start messing around with the coil packs and found the 4 pin connector on the harness side had a bare wire showing so I messed with that and it started. So I went home got another coil pack thinking it would help get the car home and it did. Got it home and soldered the messed up wire and warped it and she starts up fine now. Did finally get the check if the engine light was working and checked the codes I am getting code 32 witch tsrm is AFM signal. So going to mess with that tomorrow.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Mine did this not too long ago. Just like CyFi6 said check that EFI fuse. When mine did this, I just swapped the 15a EFI fuse with another one in the fuse box, reconnected my AFM plug, and checked all the plug wire connections and she fired right up.

Though, mine did do this for a couple weeks after the first time it happened. It has since been 2 months since the last time. Just FYI.

Tpilover

Jun 18, 2011
Tulsa ok
Mine this this when I installed my engine. The efi fused wasn't pushed in. I open the fuse box and the fuse wasn't making Bo contact. I gave it a push and felt it bottom out. Turned the key and the pump came on.

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
So when to work this morning and drove home about and hour ago. The car is back firing when I let of the gas pedal now never did this till I changed the coil packs and soldered that coil pack wire from the harness going to change out the afm soon and then go from there.

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
OK finally got around to checking the afm. I changed it with a spare I had and still back firing a bit. Did some more looking online and found out that code 32 for and 87 is HAC sensor witch I don't have so need to get one of those. I changed out the cluster today with another one and I still don't have the back lighting of the cluster. Checked tall the fuse's and I don't know what is the problem. The door light check engine and all gauges work just no back light. Anyone know what else I can check?

kakanator

Apr 25, 2010
Today when I went to work it started fine and got off around 10 went to the bank turned the car off to cash my check and started just fine. Got home went out to start the car about 3 hours later and just cranked and no start. Had a friend help me pop the clutch and it started. White smoke came out of the exhaust. Me and my friend think it might be a bhg. Like there is water in one of the cylinders and wont start after its been driven are town and will only start if we push it. Could it be a bhg?