car wont start

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
Having a problem with my car not starting (89 turbo).

Was starting fine last year, but havent used it since, changed the clutch and everything went to start up heres what happens:

- 1st time I heard a click and all lights went out, put it in off position and turned it back on, no lights would even come on

- disconnected battery and reconnected, lights would show up again

- went to start, same thing, click noise, lights out and wont come back on again

- reconnected battery, left the clutch in and tried to start (obviously would not start because of safety switch)

- went to start again, starter turning, can smell exhaust fumes and motor turning, can hear some combustion, pulses from exhaust, but would not start

Any ideas?

also fuel meter shows half full, could it still be an issue of bad gas? Im pretty sure some of the gas has been in there for some time (maybe 3 years?)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
sweetlikechutny;1742735 said:
- 1st time I heard a click and all lights went out, put it in off position and turned it back on, no lights would even come on

- disconnected batttery and reconnected, lights would show up again

These are unrelated events, unless you have a really bad connection, and putting it on resecures it. I would put that before a starter problem since it did crank over.

sweetlikechutny

Jul 3, 2005
Ontario
I dont think it was a starter problem altogether. Not sure what is it or what I should do be diagnose the no start problem.

The starter is operating fine.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it hasnt been started in a year. Drain the gas and refill with good new gas,

Second make the connection on the battery terminal tight and good. The little blue wire like to break and still look connected. Id start there. And if its the same battery from last year It prolly needs to be either charged or replaced.