Car stalled and didn't start. Need Help PLEASE

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Hey guys I'm having a problem with my 87 7MGTE. Thought I'd ask you guys first since you guys are the experts before I start swapping out the battery or something. Alright so the problem with my car is the battery keeps dying out all of a sudden so my father and I rolled the car out onto the driveway and boosted it with one of those Motomaster powerboxes or whatever they're called. Anyway it started up fine once we used that and my dad decided that he would take it out for a quick run because he wanted to get the battery charged up again. Fortunately we were just driving around the neighbourhood for ten minutes and then my dad stalled the car at a stop light. We tried starting it up after it stalled and it wouldn't start again. Not even a single light on the climate control was on. We got pretty lucky since we were just driving near our house so I ran down to my house and grabbed the Powerbox thingy again. It actually didn't work though but I think there just wasn't enough power in it to start the car because it got the lights on and everything but it just had the power to make the car lightly crank. Then I called a bunch of my friends and we had to push the car fast enough until my dad started it and drove it home. I'm actually pretty concerned about this problem and would like to know if there is any way to find out where exactly my problem is. I'm looking for good advice before I go down to the garage and start changing the battery tomorrow. I really appreciate all help, comments, and even bumps. Thanks in advance.

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
my first guess would be that the alternator has issues at least thats where I would start looking. charge the battery on a charger and put it back in the car start the car and get a Multimeter and check and see if your getting over 12 volts. put the positive lead on the pos bat terminal and negative lead on the neg bat terminal. the other option would be that the battery is so dead it wont hold a charge. This is also an easy test with the prior if you charge it and it wont charge well you get the picture :)

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Aryte thanks for the advice. I am goin to try charging it and see what happens. Before I do that though I'll check that wire Supraboy. Thanks again for the advice guys. Aryte guys I'll let you know what happens. First I have to take this thing to my friend's shop so he can charge it.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
As stated before Id check your alternator. If you go to kragen auto parts or auto zone they can check your alternator and starter and battery for free. If your battery is still good they can put a complete charge on it for free as well. So I would take those parts off and get them checked first before you start buying anything new.

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Aryte well I'm planning on changing my alternator anyway but I have got the battery charged and it actually works fine now. Just a matter of days until it dies again but I wanted to know if its normal that my car starts quieter now than before and it starts up at 800 rpm whereas it used to be like at least 1250 and then slowly decrease to 800. By the way its a lot hotter here now than before.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
gsmokez;1062673 said:
Aryte well I'm planning on changing my alternator anyway but I have got the battery charged and it actually works fine now. Just a matter of days until it dies again but I wanted to know if its normal that my car starts quieter now than before and it starts up at 800 rpm whereas it used to be like at least 1250 and then slowly decrease to 800. By the way its a lot hotter here now than before.

I dont like to speculate but it could be from the higher air temps. Is this the first summer season you had the car?

gsmokez

Feb 18, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
yes it is. I actually just got it this January and have only had it for 6 months now. This is pretty much the first time I've started it up at such high temperatures but I just wanted to know if its something I should be concerned about or not. It sounds quieter too which is what worries me. I started it up a bit earlier when it was slightly colder and it started at 1000 rpm. Hopefully its nothing but I'm a noob to Supras and would just like to make sure.Thanks for the input.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
gsmokez;1062961 said:
yes it is. I actually just got it this January and have only had it for 6 months now. This is pretty much the first time I've started it up at such high temperatures but I just wanted to know if its something I should be concerned about or not. It sounds quieter too which is what worries me. I started it up a bit earlier when it was slightly colder and it started at 1000 rpm. Hopefully its nothing but I'm a noob to Supras and would just like to make sure.Thanks for the input.

I wouldnt worry about it. As long as it idles between 650-750 rpms which is what the tsrm states you are ok. However, if it consistently just stays at 1000rpm then there is a problem.