car sat for 5 years need some input!

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
Ok im about finished with the car that i had aquired last winter, i never could get it to start before i yanked the motor, i gave that motor away and the guy told me he found pot between the head and block! yea i though u guys would get a laugh at it.

now, i droped in a 91 na engine after swaping over the 87 stuff, replaced a few things (sensors bsvb etc) resealed the engine with new gaskets through out the engine. i need 2 more pieces and this thing is ready to start up. Now as i was testing things before i yanked out the original engine i crossed over the fuel pump on the diag plug and it sparked! should it have? and with the car sitting for 5 years im gonna drain the gas but is there anything else anyone recommends to do?

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
haha, hard to tell how long that junk was there! na he was too far away when he told me just wasnt worth that kinda drive :biglaugh:

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I would recommend changing the fuel filter, but if you twist off one of the ends, you'll be down for another 3 weeks waiting on parts, and that blows. Changing gear oil (5sp and diff)/trans fluid wouldnt be a bad idea either.

If you've resealed the engine all the way, you shouldn't need anything else really though, or not that I can think of. If you want to make sure it's going to be reliable I would recommend changing stuff like the alt and water pump, since it'd be a bitch to get it going and running nice just to have it break down on you a week down the road because the alt took a dump or you overheated the engine because you didnt replace the pump. If you're bored, a complete brake job, every car I've bought that had sat for a long period of time always had sticky calipers and thats not cool, pulling up to a red light after some high speed runs and having that 'smell' wash over you... :icon_conf

Burntz

Sold the Supra
Apr 20, 2007
Nebraska
and inspect then real good, look at the inside of the tank really good too. water in gas can rust it pretty bad, especially sitting that long. do a full fuel flush, maybe run premium for a bit, check tranny fluids, diff fluids, have someone check your brakes as you hit them. etc. Check u-joints too, pretty much any moving parts. tires?

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
MA717MGTE said:
the guy told me he found pot between the head and block!

i can see it now "SM i need help. whenever my car runs, it smokes. it smells very sweet, but not like coolant. i dont know if its related or not, but for some reason i get a craving for chips after driving around in the car..." LOL

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
thanks guys, i appreciate the input, the diff never crossed my mind, it was an auto so fresh fluid/filter there. ill also do the fuel filter too.

i have replaced all new belts, (timing and tensioner included) all hoses too water pump and had to get an alt from a member here.

and i went to drain the tank today and nothing came out. with the plug out i put in about 1/2 gallon of gas and got no junk out of it. so i am assuming (unless rust as mentioned) the tank should be clear if not ill put my turbo tank on it :)

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
foreverpsycotic said:
i can see it now "SM i need help. whenever my car runs, it smokes. it smells very sweet, but not like coolant. i dont know if its related or not, but for some reason i get a craving for chips after driving around in the car..." LOL

haha thats funny shit!

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
well had it ready to start and guess what. it didnt. no fuel guess im gonna drop tank in a few weeks to do a pump install. and all i get code wise is 51 (i think)