Car running super rich NEED HELP

Ok its a Aristo 2jz swap in 1990 mk3. Ran perfectly fine until i decided i would do some upgrades. i know it needs to be tuned after all this but didnt think it would run this bad. if so let me know.

Driftmotion 67mm Single
Deatschwerks fuel pump
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
550cc USDM Injectors
2JZ Injector resitor
SAFC NEO(set to all Zeros at the monent).
NGK plugs
HKS Fuel Cut Defencer

order i installed with results
Ive been running just the 67mm turbo on it the whole time with everything else stock and has run just fine. Decided to do some upgrades and stuck the SAFC on and the fuel pump and injectors. Started it up and ran 10.5 A/F. Threw on thet fuel pressure regulator with the adapter from driftmotion so i could install the Regulator in the stock location. Set it to 40psi and started it black smoke everywhere. Still running 10.5. Everyone was saying that i needed to get the 2JZ injector resistor to to moderate the injector resistor voltage. Got that and installled it yesterday morning. Still runs Rich, idles at 500rpm and sounds like its camming and black smoke.

Does it sound like a problem or just need to be tuned?
Could i have everything hooked up right?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If it started blowing black smoke after the afpr might need to lower the psi some.

Can also take fuel out with the afc.

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
Watch your AFRs under boost after lowering the fuel pressure to idle better. I run stock base fuel pressure with a similar setup, pulling -% with the SAFC in low throttle under 3000-3500rpms to improve idle and cruising AFRs. I try to keep the WOT high-RPM adjustments as near 0% as possible (won't screw with your stock ECUs timing/fuel curve map too much that way).

Do you have your stock primary O2 sensor plugged in and working so the car can try to make its own adjustments when cruising/idling? If not, it might be dumping fuel in low throttle percentage situations to compensate for having no signal from your stock narrow-band O2 sensor. I actually don't know how much and what kind of adjustment the car will make based off of the stock narrowband O2 sensor, as I run an O2 simulator off my wideband, but it may help out a lot.

Don't want to tune for perfect idle unless you plan on idling everywhere, you want to tune for perfect WOT boost AFRs and work from there in a car like this IMO. Set your FP and SAFC adjustments for WOT and then get the best idle you can with what you end up with.

Last edited:
OK just to narrow it down. The car ran perfectly fine the day before.
The only thing i change the first day was the fuel pump and it instantly ran super rich. black smoke everywhere.
the fuel pump is a 330. Fuel pressure gauge bouncing around between 32 and 40psi with the key on. Motor is off

So the question is, is that to big for the stock return line?
Is the fuel pressure regulator not working right?

Problems are:

Black smoke
rough idle sounds like camming or wanting to die at 500rpm
running rich. A/f 10.5 at idle