Car Problems...

FranklinWaters

Lurker, with BIG PLANS!
Mar 1, 2008
Louisville, KY
My car is having a few problems. I took my it into a local shop and they did some diagnosing. They found code 31 and 41, this was last month. They could move a wire back and forth which would cause my car to have a poor idle. They re-routed the wire so it would not move, I can't remember which wire :3d_frown:. Shop said I might need to get a new Air Flow Meter. The car idles perfectly.

I have had my car back for a month now and it just started leaking antifreeze on the passenger side near the IC(stock), but it seems to not be low on antifreeze after the leak. The leaks seem to be sporadic. The car never overheats and the fan seems to be working properly. There is a hose that goes no where and I really don't know what the purpose of the hose is but thought I would point this out just in case.
  1. Had code 31 and code 41
  2. Sometimes jerks when driving normally
  3. leaks antifreeze near IC(stock) sporadicly

Sorry for dirty engine bay :aigo:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Thats the hole that it is in:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
If I had to guess, that hose is the same one pictured in the first pic, thats the vent hose for your fuel tank (emissions have been removed). No big deal, just dont plug it up or your car wont run well if at all.

You'll have to explain the leak near the IC better or get a pic of where it's coming from... becuase I didn't see any pics of the engine bay anywhere near the IC.

FranklinWaters

Lurker, with BIG PLANS!
Mar 1, 2008
Louisville, KY
mkiiSupraMan18;1030068 said:
If I had to guess, that hose is the same one pictured in the first pic, thats the vent hose for your fuel tank (emissions have been removed). No big deal, just dont plug it up or your car wont run well if at all.

You'll have to explain the leak near the IC better or get a pic of where it's coming from... becuase I didn't see any pics of the engine bay anywhere near the IC.

Alright thanks for the first part. As for the second part, I have been trying to get a picture of the leak and everything but it has not happened for almost a week.

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
intermittent leak near the pass side up by the IC, I'd be leaning toward a crappy lower rad hose or clamp. Maybe a pin hole in the radiator?

Of course it could be a leaking waterpump weep hole and the fan throwing it all that way. A stretch, but still possible.

FranklinWaters

Lurker, with BIG PLANS!
Mar 1, 2008
Louisville, KY
I just took my car around the block to get the engine warmed up to see if it will leak again. My car was driving real good then it started jerking. The only way to really describe it felt like a wooden roller coaster going up the big hill slowly. I wish I had a video camera to record it.

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
it might be those 2 hoses you have that controls the heater by the valve. Also you need a new valve cover gasket you are leaking some serious oil there based on the picture and the gunk on your valve cover. check tsrm for 31 and 41 code will explain what you need to do to fix it. good luck

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
I think he means check for oil or water in the spark plug valley. I've had both happen to me before. The first time it was the cover gasket had a small unnoticeable crack that leaked a crapload of oil between cylinders 3 and 4. Then the other time I pressure washed my engine and didn't think that any water would leak in ther... haha boy was I mistaken.

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
u need to pull the ecu fuse and recheck codes after u drive it. code 31 could have been turned on by unpluging the afm plug while the car was running. code 41 the same reason