car overheating??

88supramaniac

Mar 8, 2009
chicopee,ma
ok so i have been driving my car for the past week now and for some weird reason the meter goes all the way up when you drive for a period of time...it tends to suck in the antifreeze too....the radiator empty the next morning....i know its not a bad head gasket because they did it when i bought it....there is also no milkshake or loss of power any way....i did mess around with the needles abit because i put white face gauges and it just seems odd..i am running a n?a fan with no shroud can that be that problem?? im really confused guys..also there is no thermostat because of precautionius reasons...i took it out because of the overheating problem?? help there is also smoke coming from the sides of the radaitor but it flows really good?? any guesses

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
88supramaniac;1328662 said:
ok so i have been driving my car for the past week now and for some weird reason the meter goes all the way up when you drive for a period of time...it tends to suck in the antifreeze too....the radiator empty the next morning....i know its not a bad head gasket because they did it when i bought it....there is also no milkshake or loss of power any way....i did mess around with the needles abit because i put white face gauges and it just seems odd..i am running a n?a fan with no shroud can that be that problem?? im really confused guys..also there is no thermostat because of precautionius reasons...i took it out because of the overheating problem?? help there is also smoke coming from the sides of the radaitor but it flows really good?? any guesses

Ill play nice today.

1. OEM gauge reads temp in the red.
2. You removed the needles on the gauges to put in overlays.
3. Loss of coolant
4. No fluid mixing
5. N/A fan without shroud on a turbo.
6. No thermostat at all
7. Getting steam from the radiator
8. Never rule out BHG on a 7M.

First you removed the t-stat and so there is no longer a gasket at that location, so the system can leak there now. Also you car works way to hard to get to op temp if it ever does.

Your gauge is wortless because its reading steam not coolant as your pushing it out.

No fan shroud makes the fan far less effective at pulling air through the radiator, thus not good.

Seeing steam from the rad area, either it is leaking (pinhole)or the overflow is pushing out coolant.

What you should do: Replace radiator cap and T-stat & gasket with new oem. Check for hose leaks, loose clamps, blown radiator, and do a block test to check for exhaust gasses in the coolant. Get Turbo fan, get new shroud, and probably fix your BHG.

88supramaniac

Mar 8, 2009
chicopee,ma
ok so im in the process of doing the whole fan shroud thing and fan.....also i will put in my thermostat tomorrow........there is no milkshake at all or white smoke coming from anywhere....i have a brand new radiator cap that i bought yesterday...they already did the headgasket and it isnt blown

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
No milkshake and no smoke do not equate no BHG. My BHG was exhaust escaping into the coolant causing coolant to be pushed out the res almost exactly as you describe. No milkshake no smoke, but still a BHG. Do the coolant test to be sure, don't assume.

not saying it is BHG, just saying it is well within probability.

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Your car will run poorly without a thermostat, as it never gets up to proper operating temp. Pressure test your coolant system and do a leak down test for starters. Not saying it is, but i've seen members on here with a bhg less than 250 miles after rebuilding, so it's always a possibility. I'd do those tests first, especially pressure testing the coolant system. A pinhole or a bad seam on the rad can open up under pressure, so it's hard to diagnose sometimes. gl.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
^Indeed

88supramaniac;1328767 said:
how can i do the test??

Go to your local Auto parts store (napa) and ask for a block tester kit, and to rent a coolant pressure system tester. Block tester is a chemical test to see if exhust gasses are in your coolant. The pressuer tester fits in place of the rad cap and allows you to put pressure on the system without the motor running to find leaks.