Car not starting randomly? READ THIS (30 Amp Starter Relay Mod)

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
no click, just nothing. if i tap the starter a couple times it will start. i went with the bosh thinking it would be better. ugh!

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
It's a wonder any of our cars ran before we were able to bail them out with a modification or two. Toyota clearly knows nothing about building a dependable vehicle.

Instead of "fix" though, I should have said fix or replace.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Nice pi, I like it.... Why not spend 20 minutes locating and solving the actual problem then spend 20 minutes adding a additional circuit to a failing one??

I got into a argument with a guy that has worked in a shop for 25 years just the other day when he told me to do this to my wife's truck... He said "why waste time trying to diagnose a problem when you know adding another relay will fix it?"

"fix" really dude??

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
supranewbie;2022365 said:
It's a wonder any of our cars ran before we were able to bail them out with a modification or two. Toyota clearly knows nothing about building a dependable vehicle.

Toyota does, and they know what they are doing. Back in the 80's, a car that lasted 100k miles was a good car! The average number of miles put on a car in a year was 10,000 to 12,000 miles (I remember this from filling out the auto insurance questionnaire with good ol' pencil and paper). If you went over the "average", you paid more for insurance. At this rate your car would last about 10 years. Unless you were in the rust belt, then 10 years was a miracle.

Those who owned Supras back in the 80's could answer this better than I - in the first 100k, did the car need major work ie, radiator, water pump, alternator, wheel bearings, TPS or just basic maintenance? My guess is that these car ran to 100k with just the basic maintenance.

In contrast, our 2010 Toyota Camry has recently turned 200k. The *only* major work done on this car was replace a wheel bearing. It has the original water pump, original exhaust, original radiator, original suspension (!) etc. If you drove or saw this car, you would never know it has over 200k on it. The standard now is a car that lasts 200k and does 20k per year. Of course our Camry has been through much more than that because my husband is in the military. Just about every month it still does an 800 mile round trip to Ft. Leonard Wood.

Most of us are dealing with 80's Supras with well over 100k and all are 20+ years old. A lot of parts are not made anymore and we are trying to make do. Most of the OEM stuff was better than the aftermarket, but not all. So we join a forum to help each other out, to find out what works and what doesn't.

But don't knock the car or knock Toyota. They did the best they could with the technology and materials of that time period. And they continue to do so.

BTW: I've never done this 30amp relay mod on any of the 4 MKIII Supras I have owned. I did learn that the OEM Denso starter is the only way to go. If you resort to doing this mod, then its a band-aid for other issues in the electrical system, IMHO.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I have never had an issue with my Autozone or non-Toyota starters either...

Glad to see this thread is still alive and bullshit continues 255 posts later. Talk about difference of opinions. I guess replacing the 7M headgaskets shoulda also been done with stock bolts at OEM torque, and OEM equivalent headgasket (like FelPro). Just look at the freakin' tech tips and other mods for frequent/stupid issues like this... Modifications and aftermarket components do not appear anywhere in the TRSM. Use it, or do something different (hint - it's your car, you make the choice). Fix it how you feel is best for your situation and quit being jackwagons at others who don't necessarily agree with you.

If U don't care for or value the differences in opinions for addressing an issue, why not just STFU? Has this really now become the Supraforums we were trying to get away from a few years back? :dunno:

There's been enough good/bad info and opinions in here. Can't we just lock this Fing thread already, so the righteous and the wrong can stop w/the butthurt??

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Satan;2022422 said:
I have never had an issue with my Autozone or non-Toyota starters either...

Glad to see this thread is still alive and bullshit continues 255 posts later. Talk about difference of opinions. I guess replacing the 7M headgaskets shoulda also been done with stock bolts at OEM torque, and OEM equivalent headgasket (like FelPro). Just look at the freakin' tech tips and other mods for frequent/stupid issues like this... Modifications and aftermarket components do not appear anywhere in the TRSM. Use it, or do something different (hint - it's your car, you make the choice). Fix it how you feel is best for your situation and quit being jackwagons at others who don't necessarily agree with you.

If U don't care for or value the differences in opinions for addressing an issue, why not just STFU? Has this really now become the Supraforums we were trying to get away from a few years back? :dunno:

There's been enough good/bad info and opinions in here. Can't we just lock this Fing thread already, so the righteous and the wrong can stop w/the butthurt??

It's not in the same ballpark as upgrading the headgasket at all. The better correlation would be to have the old blown head gasket motor act as the starter for the new engine you somehow stuffed in the engine bay. That sounds really stupid, right?

Now you know what this "fix" sounds like to anyone that understands electrical systems.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Not comparing the "fix" or mod at all... Just stating that difference of opinions and INNOVATION of enthusiasts have provided all kinds of good (and bad) stuff. This thread continues to encourage fucked up debate, instead of just acceptance of a difference of opinions.

The dead horse has been beaten throughout and still continues to be. All of the info for the RIGHT and WRONG way has already been provided, as well as enough supporting arguments (and bashing) for both. No new beneficial info is being provided, just more opportunity for negative statements/debate. All I see now is SF off-topic trolling-type of behavior/replies in the thread bumps, encouraging bashing of those who've disagreed (which has already occurred enough, I think). My bad, for even looking at the thread again... I thought there was more useful/technical info being added with the newer posts.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I would be more than happy to walk someone through a voltage drop test if they asked or point them to one of multiple YouTube videos out there(it is just as easy as doing this"mod" ) , but when people continue to add a additional circuit to a failing one as a fix It seems as though they haven't read the thread beyond the first post

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^^I replaced the entire circuit. All of the info is already here, but would be great if you could contribute with examples/vids of the process. Might help some others.