Car is Stupid Rich....

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
So recently, i have done the maft pro conversion. It has been fine for a while, but last night, i was on a long romantic drive :biglaugh: and the car under cruise started to become super rich.
I am talking 7.4 rich. I began to play around with it, and under higher throttle it would lean out a bit, and it would be fine. Infact any time i was getting into boost it would be fine, until i went WOT. Under WOT it would go to the 7.4 area as well. Well i stopped driving it, so now i am taking suggestions on what to look at. The IC piping is new, and i am sure there are no boost leaks (even if there was one, i remember driving without an IC pipe and it was no where near this rich)
Could my WB be lying to me, or be pooched? It is fairly new as well, and i sure hope it isn't done.
-Tom

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
which wideband are you using?
if your using the lc1, have you tried the free air calibration according to the instruction manual?
-pete

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Did you read the caution on those and fallow them?
needs free air cal.
You must hook up the heater element failure to do so will damage it.
You must also avoid using hi octane fuels to much alchy, leaded fuel, it must be clocked at the proper angle and the proper distance from the exhaust ports.

Fozbo

7M Love
Apr 4, 2005
Norman, Oklahoma
Is the car actually running rich (black smoke, smell slight gasoline, etc.)? If the wide band is reading rich, and you are obviously running rich, then the wide band is most likely not the problem.

I had the exact same thing happen to me, it was so rich that it wouldn't even run. It turns out the vacuum line running to the GM 3 bar MAP sensor was split right at the sensor because the sensor nipple was a little bit big for the line. The sensor was thus reading only atmospheric pressure instead of the manifold pressure. I Replaced the line and the car ran great again.

It would actually make sense if your MAP sensor was reading atmospheric pressure because as you get into boost (cross from vacuum to positive pressure), the pressure inside the manifold would have to be at atmospheric at one point or another. Since the sensor is reading atmospheric, and the manifold pressure was atmospheric (even though the sensor isn't even reading the manifold pressure) then it would actually be in tune for a little bit, until you went much past atmospheric (WOT).

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
I think my wideband may be the problem. When i go WOT, i still have lots of Power, and i do not see a bunch of black smoke behind me.
Time to try out the air cal again.

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
I've had similar problems with my MAFTPRO. Cruising around at a constant speed AFRs would be around 10.0AFR. Happened twice; first my TPS was bad, second time a wire pulled out of the plug for the ISC.