car is done need some help.......

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
I finally got the last piece of my puzzle (dm ic kit) Car is done need some help on the initial tune. My mods are:

Dm 57 trim turbo, denso 560's, lex afm, apexi safc, aem tru-boost, lc-1 wideband, full 3" turbo back exhaust, Walbro 255lph, afpr w/jtube bypass and fpd bypass. driving at 6600 feet.

I set my base fuel psi at 35psi just to start, too high or not enough? I cranked the car with out efi fuse to get oil to turbo. Checked leaks good to go. Started car let idle for a while idles good lc-1 is reading low to mid 14s. pretty steady at 14.6 I was trying to read the vf signal but dont remember pins to jump?

Safc is set to zero until i can get on the dyno, so basically it is just running off the injectors and afm correct? After a bit i decided to easy into the throttle unloaded to see where a afrs went, looked good mid 13 or so at 2000. I did notice it i easy into it a little more around 2200 the afrs spike to the default of 21.9 (that was my free air calibration) and the idle is up down up down, when holding steady. What will cause that? Afm is in good order worked prior to mods. Also when if i just smack the throttle wot and let off ( i know its not the best thing to do) the car dies after dropping the rpms. I do have a vented bov (for now) but had one before and worked good no decel stalling. Please help wanna get a good or decent street tune on it so i can make it to the dyno. thanks

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
You Will Be fine, if you boost hard it will just dip down into the 10's maybe lower :), i have almost the same setup you have, dm 57TRIM, big front mount with 3" cold pipes and 2.5 hot pipes, DDp down pipe, full 3" exhaust,560cc evo 9 injectors, lex afm, safc2 aem wide band, aeromotive FPR, walbro 255, greddy type R bov and profec b boost controller @ 1 bar untuned it made 325hp.

i run 40psi base fuel pressure that keeps my idle afr around 14.9-15.3

Last edited:

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Looks like you are on the right track on your mods. Have yo done a MHG on the engine and how many miles on your engine? With your set up you should have no problems getting close to 400rwhp. Make sure you get those AFRs as close as you can BY ADJUSTING YOUR FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR. Then you can fine tune the rest with the SAFC. Good luck

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok so i ran into another problem. For some reason now my wideband is out of control? Yesterday was fine idle at 14.6 or bring the rpm up and would drop a bit to mid 13. I had a fuel line leak so i fixed that and re checked fuel psi. Its at 38 with vac and 42 without. The rpm stumble was gone today after fixing leak, but now my gauge is whacked? First with the car running it would stay at 21.9, sometimes it would just consistently flash 7.4 and sometimes it would just float from 9 to 21 at idle and now stumble is back? I did not change anything any ideas? I am going to try and reset calibrate and reset the whole thing tomorrow. I have a dm 3 in dp that has the o2 location right behind the oe sensor could i have burned it out that quick? I mean car hasnt left the driveway?

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Yeah no codes at all. No vac leaks that i can see or find. I just got a replacement wideband o2 gonna install that and try and recal the unit again.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
None it is still running through the numbers from way rich to way lean and no idle problems or misses leaks or any shit like that. Even with the new sensor it does it? i am going to check all my connections right now.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
ok now it is steady at 8.5 no matter how much i adjust fuel pressure? idle surge at 2200 or so, but will rev past that. Checked the vf signal (vf1 and te1 have 2.7v, vf1 and e1 is 2.2v) fuel pressure at 36

Also have code 31 short circuit in airflow meter? Can that be from the safc? or in the afm itself? If the af, is bad will that throw the afr out of whack?

Ok one more update so far. put the supplied filter for bov in and dying has gone. found that the bov was staying open or opening too fast and killing it. Installed another afm i had laying around as well so one or the other cured the stalling. Afrs are staying steady in 14s now for some reason? when i rev it up at any rpm and hold steady idle still jumps and afr gauge spikes to 21.9 still? no idle problems though. when i let off throttle the afrs go to low 12s. Do not have safc set yet so it is running as if it were not there.

Last edited:

ians13

Nov 8, 2005
Jacksonville, fl
89supra7mgte;1579786 said:
ok now it is steady at 8.5 no matter how much i adjust fuel pressure? idle surge at 2200 or so, but will rev past that. Checked the vf signal (vf1 and te1 have 2.7v, vf1 and e1 is 2.2v) fuel pressure at 36

Also have code 31 short circuit in airflow meter? Can that be from the safc? or in the afm itself? If the af, is bad will that throw the afr out of whack?

Ok one more update so far. put the supplied filter for bov in and dying has gone. found that the bov was staying open or opening too fast and killing it. Installed another afm i had laying around as well so one or the other cured the stalling. Afrs are staying steady in 14s now for some reason? when i rev it up at any rpm and hold steady idle still jumps and afr gauge spikes to 21.9 still? no idle problems though. when i let off throttle the afrs go to low 12s. Do not have safc set yet so it is running as if it were not there.

leaking bov = vacuume leak and will cause idle problems.
that was most likely the cause of your idle problems.
i would bump the fuel pressure to 40 psi with vacuume at idle,
always set the fuel pressure after the engine is warmed up.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Ok i will do that. i got my tru boost installed and my idle vac readings are about 14 inches. If i had a leak wouldnt that be lower? weather has been shitty today so probably wont have any new progress til tomorrow.
Did however manage to get afrs to get steady again 14s at idle.