Car dies in neutral.. Bad alternator?

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
I know I've posted about this before, but a around a month ago I was driving around and when I put the car in neutral the rpm's fell down past idle all the way to 0, the battery light came on, and the car completely shut off when I was still going about 40mph. Since then, its done it a couple more times, but recently I was playing music and blasting the a/c and it was shutting off every couple minutes when I threw it in to neutral. At first, I thought there was a weak connection with the battery so I checked the wires and I changed both of the terminals but it is still dying even more often now. I'm thinking its the alternator but I just wanted to see what you all thought

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Have you checked the ISCV?

Get a meter and put it on the battery poles when the car is running to see the voltage you are getting. It should be 14-14.7 when it is healthy.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If his car stalled from a bad alternator, that means the battery had to discharge, and the car would not restart, let alone crank over.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
i did what k20 did and it dies after about a minute.. but in that time the afr was way low at around 10, and i now have white smoke out of the exhaust and my manifold is so hot its turning red and smoking too.. So potentially a bhg even though its a mhg and been retorqued among other things that are messed up.....

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
vpr131;1852496 said:
i did what k20 did and it dies after about a minute.. but in that time the afr was way low at around 10, and i now have white smoke out of the exhaust and my manifold is so hot its turning red and smoking too.. So potentially a bhg even though its a mhg and been retorqued among other things that are messed up.....

I've never seen a manifold or CT26 turbo glow red on a 7M. Although I've seen it on a 3S.

If it was happening at idle you have some issues for sure. Start by checking your coolant level and hooking your battery back up...

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
As for the car dying. You can get your battery and alternater tested for free at autozone.

Check your grounds
Iscv
Cps
Tps

Are you thowing any codes if you don't know check.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
thanks for the help guys but I'm probably just going to sell/part out because I dont have the money to put in to it and I know someone else will.

Maple191

Mar 21, 2012
Toronto
IndigoMKII;1852561 said:
AFR's in the 10's and a glowing manifold? So much for richer engines running cooler..
The unburnt fuel from the low AFR is be ignighted in the exhaust. Or the exhaust is partail plug and cant breath at Idle. But can breath under load.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Jj you must be really bored that you have the time to come on here and make comments that are of no help. Thanks again for your input.