Car dies immediately after starting

93jdmsoup

Aug 20, 2013
Vancouver
So I was driving home from work the other day when my mkiv stalled at a traffic light (its an auto) and after I restarted it the idle was very rough. After getting home I restarted the car again and it seemed to run fine at a normal idle so I was confused. I restarted it once again and it was yet again alright. A few hours later when I started it again, it idled above 2000 rpm so I disconnected the battery and let it sit over night. This morning I tried to start the car again and it would only start for a second then die. If I peddled the throttle it would stay alive though.

I just changed my IAC valve a couple weeks ago because I was having symptoms similar to these but after I replaced it all problems disappeared for a few weeks. I was thinking my tps or crank position sensor could have just gone out as well or the IAC valve I got could've been defective?

I tried plugging in my OBDI code reader but it couldn't connect

Thanks for your help ahead of time people! Much appreciated.

93jdmsoup

Aug 20, 2013
Vancouver
its an Airtex/Wells 2H1367, it comes with a 12 month/12,000 miles warranty so I could try getting another one?

here is the link:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=941295&cc=1317583

this was the other one I was looking at, figured going for the new, more expensive one would be safer.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1002402&cc=1317583

I got quoted from a local toyota dealership 1435 for just a new iac valve so I went online and bought one myself, what brand would you recommend?

Thanks for your help

Sly-0ne

Aug 1, 2012
Lowell,ma
u may be on 2 something check the cps for resistance..go from there, but u say the car is starting...
and how much would the iac 1 from dealer cost??
dealer parts(in some cases) are more reliable than some of its aftermarket cousins!!

93jdmsoup

Aug 20, 2013
Vancouver
it starts for half a second then just stalls out but if i peddle the throttle i can keep it alive, once i stop tho it'll die. I still have the stock iac valve, is it possible to repair?

thanks again everyone

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sounds like a bad isc. You can take it off and put power and ground in the right order and see if it makes all the steps that it should. Its in the repair manual.

Can also find a good used one.