Can't get the key out of the ignition!

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
I recently had a minor accident during which my car slid out of control, into a curb. No structural damage, no airbag deployment, although one tire was torn by the rim. When I got the car home, I pulled the EFI fuse to see if the computer just needed to be reset; sure enough, I got my key back. However, now, even that trick does not seem to work--the key jams just a tiny bit after the "ACC" setting. Obviously, I'm pushing the key release button, but it only gives me a millimeter or two extra distance counterclockwise of "ACC." I honestly have no idea what to do; for the meantime, I have another key with which I can lock my car, but clearly it would be easy for someone to break a window if they noticed the key in the ignition (of all places!).

Does anyone know why this key-retention "system" has been triggered, and how I can disable it? As another note, this car has no security system.

Thanks much,

-- Scott Goodson

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Supraman said:
I recently had a minor accident during which my car slid out of control, into a curb. No structural damage, no airbag deployment, although one tire was torn by the rim. When I got the car home, I pulled the EFI fuse to see if the computer just needed to be reset; sure enough, I got my key back. However, now, even that trick does not seem to work--the key jams just a tiny bit after the "ACC" setting. Obviously, I'm pushing the key release button, but it only gives me a millimeter or two extra distance counterclockwise of "ACC." I honestly have no idea what to do; for the meantime, I have another key with which I can lock my car, but clearly it would be easy for someone to break a window if they noticed the key in the ignition (of all places!).

Does anyone know why this key-retention "system" has been triggered, and how I can disable it? As another note, this car has no security system.

Thanks much,

-- Scott Goodson

The Supra has no such key-retention system, I have a feeling the time it came out after you pulled the EFI fuse was simply a fluke. There's nothing electronic related to the key being stuck in place. It sounds like your ignition lock is buggered. May need to replace it.

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
To answer the first poster, no, the steering is not locked. The car starts fine and moves to other stages of the key-turn normally.

Jeff, the "ignition lock"-- is that something other than the device the key is inserted into? Where/how could I replace this? I suppose I'll have to take it to Toyota, but clearly that's something I'd like to avoid to the bitter end...(fantastic service, but some of the prices are truly outragous).

Thanks again,

-- Scott Goodson

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
The lock is the actual part the key is inserted into.

You can replace it yourself, just pick up a used one, or even a new one. It's about $70 at the dealer for a new one.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Stretch said:
It's called a tumbler jeff :icon_mrgr
eric

Call it whatever you like. :p

I'm a Toyota man, and Toyota calls it an ignition lock, and it's part of the locking system IMO, :p

If you went to Toyota to order one, they'd know what you're talking about more easily if you called it an ignition lock, I think. Oh well, :p

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
Problem solved! Very strangely, it was fixed by shifting the automatic transmission around when the car was off, by using the "shift-lock override" button. I was thinking from the beginning that the car was somehow confused about the transmission position, because it is designed to do exactly this when the car is turned off in "D". Now, everything works normally; quite a relief indeed!

Thank you for your help...I just had to ask, because I was not aware of any systems the Supra has to keep the key in (apparently none but the auto transmission). Hopefully someone can use this thread later, anyway...

Thanks again,

-- Scott Goodson

B

Blue N/A->T

Hey guys I'm having the same issue, sometimes the issue goes away with the gearshift being moved, but most of the time if you let it sit for a few hours your chances of removal go way up, this is on an 89 na auto Targa, by the way, my 87 key comes out at anytime (yes anytime).

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
hehehe my 88 supra the key barly sat in there it would fall out if u touched it. I Could take the key out when i wasdriving as well and it wouldn't do anything. Scary thing is when it fell out once and i couldn't find it to shut the car off. Found it on the floor eventually but not cool. My 90 turbo though Is a bugger to get the key in and out sometime but for the most of the time its a smooth transaction in and out and turns nice. mabye the 89+ are different i dunno.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Stretch said:
It's called a tumbler jeff :icon_mrgr
eric

..uh.. nope.

if anything else, it's called a lock cylinder.
the tumblers are the little pieces inside that "read" the keycode.
i would call it an ignition lock also...
or an ignition lock cylinder.

mk3forme

Apr 5, 2005
Lexington KY
The problems stated with the keys coming out regardless of the ignition switch position happens when using copies of the original key. My 89 does the same thing with the last copy I had made at the local locksmith. But when I use the key that I had cut at the dealership it does not. I thought $7 was outrageous for a key but I think they told me its laser cut, and it works a heck of alot better then the cheaper copy

1989MKIII

Jun 28, 2005
Troy, Missouri
www.elite-forums.com
well i had 3 keys copyed, caz the toyota key was the one from 89 and it was getting a little warn. but they all work fine. no probs. sounds like yall in your autos need to go to a 5-speed :evil2: ..lol but yeah, ive never had any probs...with mine

BTW- i would have went to toyota, but the enarest toyota dealer is 40 miles away...

justin

B

Blue N/A->T

Yeah I have a 5 speed car, the key always comes out. I have 3 keys, 1 came with the car, 1 copy, and 1 cut by Toyota from the Vin, same with all 3 keys, so I,ll rule the key out. I'll take the column to bits as soon as I finish painting my Honda

B

Blue N/A->T

albertmdh said:
Some of your cars are loose whores, that or you need to swing a bigger key.

Nah mines not a loose whore, it belonged to a Priest before I ownded it. Wait a minute maybe it is :icon_surp

B

Blue N/A->T

Problem Solved.

My issue was a mis-adjusted shifter, loosen the 4 10mm bolts and slide-a-bit and presto, no more problems, as a side effect the car goes in to gear easier now.