Cant get head off - am i missing something

D

drumminforev

I removed all 14 head studs, spark plugs, disconnected exhaust mani, and the brace on the intake mani. But the head wont budge. Where can i safly pry, or what should i do to get it off?

I left the dist, alt, and lower intake mani on.

Dr Evil

No gun required
Aug 31, 2005
uk
Try removing the alternator completely ...the top bolt goes through a bracket connected to the cylinder head.

Put a wooden stay in one of the inlet runners and lever up gently .

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
my head felt like it was still on even after everything was off of it just from being on the motor so long i guess. It took a bit of strength to get it off. there was a hose that could be easily missed at the back of the head that might hold it on also.

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
mine was help on there by the old head gasket. i just grabbed a cam gear in each hand gave 'er a yank and it came off.

supraracer49

3rd Gen Life
Nov 20, 2006
WNC
I had the same problem until I realized that I didn't unbolt the top alternator bolt.:aigo: Thats probably what your missing. either that or a hose.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
I would check the rear 90degree rubber coolant hose. Its located on the passingerside and the hose runs from the rear of the cylinder head to a metal pipe on the block. Hoes this helps you out.

D

drumminforev

Alright so i know i didnt take off the read coolant hose or any alternator bolts so ill try that tomrrow

but im confused at how those are holding the to head the block

D

drumminforev

a big flathead screwdriver that you had to break the head off...where exactly and why does it have to be broke off

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
drumminforev said:
a big flathead screwdriver that you had to break the head off...where exactly and why does it have to be broke off

The head sticks to the block usually, due to time, so you have to pop it loose. the alternator bolt will hold the head on, but the rubber hose wouldnt keep you from popping it loose.

D

drumminforev

Well i dont know what the hell is going on. I removed the rear coolant hose and i pryed against the head. I pried so hard that i broke my screwdriver in half which slammed my knuckle right into the block, leaving me in pain.

it wont even budge still. I was beating the intake manifold hard sideways with a rubber mallet and the whole motor was shaking, head didnt even come off.

The only bolt i didnt finish taking off before it got dark was the alternator bolt, but that couldnt hold it to the block.

are there any bolts that go in to the block/head sideways? or whats the deal here