Can't get any diagnostic codes

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
I have an 87 Supra with the 7MGTE. Just bought it off some guy who pulled the engine from a working supra. Said the engine ran when he took it out but now it only cranks. I've done all the tests in the TFRM but am stuck because I cant get the engine to give me any diagnostic codes. I am following the manual to the letter, but still no success. Any hints or ideas as to what i or the car is doing wrong.

Thanks

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
Followed the link and its the exact same as the manual i am trouble shooting out of, I just have the paper one. As for the light bulb, i checked it out and it was perfectly fine, although i think the guy might not have put in the right instrument cluster. I seem to remember the guy saying that the harness was from a non-turbo car but the dash was from the turbo. Could this be the cause of the car not starting and just turning over?

p.s. I did notice on the back of the dash there was a white male connector that did not have a match coming off the cluster. Might be the problem i think.
2012-01-11_17-54-49_609.jpg This is the connector that's missing the end to the cluster.

2012-01-11_17-54-15_390.jpg close-up

any thoughts?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
hmm well something is definitely missing i cant be sure to what.

But your check engine light never comes on? not even when you first put your key in ACC mode?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Turbo Habanero;1793183 said:
Ok ok. well i know it comes on for a second be for you crank the car over at some point right? lol

The MIL illuminates:

1) Key on, engine off. Lamp check.

2) Key on, engine running, and a hard fault occurs.

3) Key on, engine running or not, system in diag mode.

4) Key on, engine running, and rpm falls below 200. (Same lamp check as #1)

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
3p141592654;1793202 said:
The missing connector is for the boost gauge.

Me thinks No light -> no ECU power.

So I tested the ECU and found that there was 0 power going in. I then checked all the fuses and the 7.5 ING fuse keeps blowing every time I turn the car to ON. Any suggestions on what kind of problem that might be?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
jetjock;1793439 said:
The MIL illuminates:

1) Key on, engine off. Lamp check.

2) Key on, engine running, and a hard fault occurs.

3) Key on, engine running or not, system in diag mode.

4) Key on, engine running, and rpm falls below 200. (Same lamp check as #1)

Thank you for letting me know the correct way Jet

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Yeah, I'm afraid it's not looking good. You can ohm between pins IGSW and E1 on the box. Low resistance means the thing is toast. It's either that or the wiring has been dicked with and doesn't match the ECU. If that were the case it wouldn't have worked before though.