Cant figure out clutch problem

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I am running a W58 behind my 7mgte and recently replaced the spec stage 3+ non turbo clutch in it because I had a problem with it not fully disengaging sometimes. When I pulled it out, I found that some of the springs were working their way out of the center hub, but couldn't see where they had contacted the flywheel or flywheel bolts, but replaced the clutch anyways. I replaced it with a Spec stage 2+ clutch, resurfaced the flywheel, replaced the slave cylinder with OEM, bled the system, replaced the throwout bearing, checked the pilot etc.

All was good for about a month, then the new clutch started acting up similarly but not the same as the old one. The new clutch tends to engage itself while I am in gear. Here is the typical scenario...
Come to a stop put car in first, no effort required. While I wait in gear, I hear a clunk and my idle drops, and now the clutch is partially engaged, and I cannot get the transmission out of gear. Sometimes it is bad enough to move my car forward if I let go of the brake. There are 3 ways to get the clutch to disengage, 1 rev the engine to about 4k rpm, 2 yank the shifter out of gear, 3 release the clutch enough to get it to start to fully engage and then release it again. With all 3 of these, the clutch will fully release and the trans will go back in and out of gear fine. For instance, if I am stuck in 1st gear, I can yank it out of gear, then as soon as I do that it will go back into 1st without a problem, foot hasn't moved on the clutch pedal.

Not sure what to look at at this point, what could cause this? I cant think of anything transmission related that would cause this, but its such an odd issue. It happens about 40% of the time I have the car in gear at a stop.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Clutch master cylinder seals are leaking internally allowing hydraulic pressure to drop causing engagement of clutch? That's what that sounds like to me.

Or you have a leak somewhere along the system.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I thought the same, but that doesn't explain why it will release just by revving the engine or yanking it out of gear. I also had a friend watch the slave while it happens and there is no movement there at all. Master is a new Aisin less than 2 years old.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Sounds like bad master.

It would come out of gear by revving cause verything is spinning. like rev matchings and shifting without clutch.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
You will not see the master move at all. It's the fluid that will leak past the seal back into the reservoir inside. That will allow the slave cylinder to begin to release the clutch.
I've bought a brake master cylinder and a month later it failed. Master cylinders do go bad. Sometimes right off the bat, others later down the line. I vote bad clutch master cylinder.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
hvyman;2008817 said:
Sounds like bad master.

It would come out of gear by revving cause verything is spinning. like rev matchings and shifting without clutch.

I think you misunderstood. If I rev the engine and let it come back to idle, it causes the clutch to stop dragging and then it will go in and out of gear fine after that, it doesn't have to be at a certain rpm to get it out of gear. Just revving the engine makes it stop dragging.

Suprapowaz!(2);2008857 said:
You will not see the master move at all. It's the fluid that will leak past the seal back into the reservoir inside. That will allow the slave cylinder to begin to release the clutch.
I've bought a brake master cylinder and a month later it failed. Master cylinders do go bad. Sometimes right off the bat, others later down the line. I vote bad clutch master cylinder.
I know I wouldn't see the master move but any loss in pressure would cause the slave to retract which it doesn't at all. Also if there was a loss is pressure why would simply revving the engine make the clutch stop dragging?

I am pretty sure it isn't a hydraulic issue, but is there any other way to verify that? Is there anything that could be wrong with the transmission itself to cause that?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Your pressure plate is bad. That is why you can move shift lever at higher RPM's. Assuming for sure you don't have a hydraulic leak external or internal past a seal.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Your pressure plate is bad. That is why you can move shift lever at higher RPM's. Assuming for sure you don't have a hydraulic leak external or internal past a seal.