can you identify the part

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
i am trying to find the hose that goes from the side of the valve cover to the block, it looks kinda like a question mark and i assume its part of the pcv system. if it is its the biggest pcv hose ive ever seen. so does anyone know the name so i can order it.

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
I got 2ft of oil/heat resistant hose from a local shop and had it replaced with good clamps for $5-10. It's 7/8" but I used 1" with the worm gear clamps.

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
The purpose of the hose, by the way, is to allow the blow-by (pressure that slips past the piston rings) that builds up in the bottom end (crankcase) to be released to the top end (inside valve cover), so the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system can draw the pressure away, and into the intake system to be burned during combustion.

(and this long paragraph makes sense):biglaugh:

87nasupra

Scotty's Garage
Mar 2, 2006
Jacksonville, FLORIDA !
all i was thinking is maybe i could get a longer hose and move it away from the alt. around the intake ( or between it ) that way i dont screw the connector or punch a hole in it.

lifted

Jun 13, 2006
memphis
i have seen with other cars(and i never tought it was a good idea) to just let the pcv vent into the atmosphere with a small filter on the pcv hose. that would make it just crank case ventilation and not positive crank case ventilation.

corylee316

until it goes boom
Aug 17, 2006
Moscow, IA
The question would be if the posative portion of the ventalation will effect anything else buy removing that pressure.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
corylee316 said:
The question would be if the posative portion of the ventalation will effect anything else buy removing that pressure.

The vacuum helps the rings seal a bit better at high RPM. I believe it also helps oil seals (provided they're not so old that they're now solid plastic).

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The hose length shouldn't affect anything. It might help oil condense out of the vapour that would normally end up in the intake, but I doubt it'd be enough to notice.