Can the ABS be removed like this? should I?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I'm in the middle of my 1jz swap and just realized my transmission isn't machined for an ABS sensor. I also just noticed that both of my front sensors have broken wires (right where they go into the sensor, can't fix them). Also, it appears that my ABS unit is messed up (probably corrosion inside) and is the cause for my R/F wheel being locked up.

Now here's my question... does the ABS on these older supras really work that well that it's worth the expense and time for me to fix it? I've only ever owned one ABS car before (my speed3), and I've heard from some people that older ABS systems really suck and don't work anything like the newer cars do.

After looking at the system, it looks like I can just hook the master cylinder right up to the proportioning valve with two short steel brake lines and have the same brake system that came on non-ABS supras. (correct me if I'm wrong here).

This also helps free up some room for the turbo's on the 1JZ, I don't have to mangle the brake lines to clear.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Sounds like some people are full of it.

ABS allows you to steer in panic stops. That is the design. The side benifit is that the computer can modulate stops faster than the average driver.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
The master cylinder connects to the proportioning valve with 2 lines, that then goes to the ABS actuator, which then goes to the 2 front calipers and a single line to the rear.

If you want to remove ABS you need the lines from the proportioning valve to each of the front calipers (1 small line to splitter, 2 lines from there to each caliper) and the line from proportioning valve to the long line that runs to the rear.

It is not as simple as you thought it would be, sorry.

Jeff

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Nope, my eclipse and MX6 didn't have ABS. It was an option for both cars, but not standard.

Yeah I forgot about the R/F wheel, oops. Well, nothing has been easy on this car so far, so another brake line to fabricate isn't too bad.

I was more looking for everybody's thoughts on how well the stock ABS system on this car works... if it works well or just acts weird and makes the car harder to drive fast. I prefer the feel of non-ABS just because that's what I'm used to. I really dislike the feel of the ABS on our mazda, that "grinding" feeling is really disturbing and makes it feel like something just broke. It causes me to panic more than if the brakes just locked a bit. I'm good at threshold braking, even during emergency situations. About the only situation I find ABS is great for is driving in snow and ice (it's like an ice detector).... which this car will never be doing since I'll be storing it through the winter.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
OneJArpus;1614155 said:
I have ABS on my car and I would not remove it. Does its job. :) Some may argue that but hey proof is in the pudding. ABS supra stock vs stock non abs will stop better

Testing showed otherwise. The only thing that can change is the drivers ability to control impending lock up. And you are right, most people can't outdo the computer.

http://www.supramania.com/images/hosted/nickm/Car&Driver Supra Turbo 87 5.jpg

http://www.supramania.com/images/hosted/nickm/Car and Driver Supra 86.5 6.jpg

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Different car, different time. That extra foot could be from the extra weight of being turbo.

That being said, the supra ABS is unobtrusive and only kicks in when needed, it's not the "brake assist" systems of many modern cars that I absolutely can't stand. Only way it could be better is if it was a 4 channel system IMHO.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I had a 90 gte with abs, then went to a 1jz with out, and almost had a wreck the first day when my brakes locked up. I am swapping the 1jz into a 89 and rewired the harness to add the abs. I feel that it's worth the time.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Ok, I'll keep the ABS then.

I found a working ABS unit and the front wheel speed sensors for a good price. My only holdup now is the sensor hole not being in my transmission. Anyone know what I can do there other than buying a whole different transmission?

Bahamut

May 13, 2005
Louisville, KY
I was looking at my transmission the other day and it looked to me like the spot for the sensor was just capped off. (Like a freeze plug) i am assuming it only needs to be pulled out.

Least that is what i'm hoping since i ordered a sensor to install already. i'll be able to tell you for sure in a few weeks when i try to install that sensor.