Can I use a 60 trim and lexus maf without a tune? New headgasket without machining

D51208

Apr 22, 2014
Oswego
Hi there, before I jump into my question let me give some background info real quick like. I tried starting my car up yesterday and it started but it won't stay running unless you press on the gas right before it studders and dies. Got a code for mass air flow meter and iirc tps. I had some pretty bad blow back and now valve knock going on. So I pulled off the mass air fllow assembly and the inside everywhere is coated with oil, presumably from the blow back. It ran a couple days prior when I parked the car from when the valves started knocking, and it still does run but only with coercion.
Also on the plate, it is halfway converted to a 5 speed.

My plan of action is to:

I do not have the cash right now to have the head decked, nor the block. Plus my local machine shop has a turnaround time of like a month, the headgasket is not blown....
Pull off head, repair/replace valves. Make sure the head isnt pitted and not warped, make sure the block is good too. Then replacing all the gaskets in the head along with a oem headgasket (Can I use something else without the head being decked that will be better?). I have some ARP head bolts (not studs) from a trade so those will be going in. Also I will be replacing timing belt and water pump now too. I'll probably be swapping out the trannies during this process too, along with installing an electronic boost controller I have already and a turbo timer which I do not have yet. Also I will be swapping my radiator at the same time as this. Yes, quite a bit happening at one time...

Heres the main questions:
I have a Lexus Mass air flow meter assembly I received in a trade. I also have a 60 trim turbo. Both not installed. I also have a fuel pressure regulator installed. Should I install them while I have everything out, without a tune at 6psi of boost? I do not plan on running past this level of boost, but say I did, if I increased the pressure from the fuel pressure regulator, would that work instead of the 550 injectors?

There is essentially no possible way I can get the head or block decked in the near future. Is it possible to run an oem or other headgasket without this being done?

Thanks in advanced.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Yes as long as you do the hg job correctly and assuming you have a healthy bottom end you can throw the 60 trim on and run stock boost all day. However i would wait to put the AFPR on until you get a bigger pump and injectors all at once. No need to mess with the stock ecu fuel calculations at all unless you are ready to go to the next step (injectors, pump, larger AFM or other tuning device, wideband, and a tune).

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
simple answer........... yes.
i would at least get arp head bolts or studs.
as far as the turbo goes..... i ran a 60-1 turbo with the lex/550 combo for a while. you should be fine under 12psi or so. i was running 15, but i'm a knucle head. lol

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
How do you plan on keeping it at only 6psi?

I am not familiar with the 60 trim ct turbos...do they have a different wastegate?

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
gsxr141;2017926 said:
he is giving it more fuel........ he has 550 injectors.
He does?
No matter how many times I read the first post, I can't see where he says he has 550s. But, every once in awhile, I am wrong. Would you be so kind as to tell me how you know he has 550s?

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
You don't have the 550s, nor the cash for them. Don't put the Lexus MAF on. The adjustable FPR is fine if you can tell what your A/F is, or even just set it to stock pressure.

My recommendation, do the headgasket and valves, get it all put back together. Make sure it's running correctly, no more knocking. "Break-in" the motor, as in just recheck the head bolt torque after a few hundred miles, and if everything is good and strong at that point, add the 60 trim if you want. (I'd just stick to the stock turbo unless there's a problem with it) Then when you get the money for the supporting air/fuel mods, throw them in and get it tuned.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
supranewbie;2017932 said:
He does?
No matter how many times I read the first post, I can't see where he says he has 550s. But, every once in awhile, I am wrong. Would you be so kind as to tell me how you know he has 550s?

nope, i misread the first post. i saw 550's and figured he said he had them already.
that said........ i will change my previous answer to NO, you can't just put that turbo on.
i'm sure that some people will chime in saying that the stock injectors will work, but i wouldn't risk it if it were my motor.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
Long story short, you are setting up for disaster and a waste of money. Take the time to save up your money and get your head machined. You will be kicking yourself when the head gasket blows. Adding a Lexus MAF without 550's and a way to monitor your AFRs is asking for melted pistons. Don't cheap out, take the time to do it once and do it right. Or you'll end up like me replacing a head gasket at 1000 miles.

-AM3