Can anyone reccomend a decent speaker system?

allfans26

Sep 11, 2015
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Hey everyone,

First, I'm wondering if anyone has bought these speakers for their mk3 Supra:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G9T0RJU...lid=18Y7JXW4O64ZD&coliid=I2NKRSXSDQN9HV&psc=1

Background on my Supra
My car is a stock 1990 Turbo... with the exemption of a replacement K&N Air filter and replacement radiator.

If so, is it a good speaker system for a nice price?
My goal is to upgrade the speakers from the stock system that I still have in my car. When I try to increase the bass and treble to +6 it's not there at all. The bass and treble at its max would be considered "no bass" or "normal" in today's standard. I'm not looking for a speaker system that goes crazy with the bass (without sub-woofers) just something that is discernible when I want it to be enhanced...

So the questions that I would love to be answered are:
1.) If anyone has bought these systems before do you think it's a good system for the price?
2.) Do I need to replace 4 speakers? (2 for front and 2 for the rear near the hatch?)
3.) Do you think you can give a sound demo via YouTube just for other people's reference? If not then that's fine.

Thanks,
Branden

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
If you don't plan to power any of the speakers, most aftermarket speakers have a come a long way and will be a great upgrade. I've used alpine type s on my own car (4" front and 5 1/4" rear on my 88) and it was great. i only had an amp for my 12" subwoofer and it was a huge upgrade over stock no drowned out voices.

allfans26

Sep 11, 2015
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Beals;2066344 said:
If you don't plan to power any of the speakers, most aftermarket speakers have a come a long way and will be a great upgrade. I've used alpine type s on my own car (4" front and 5 1/4" rear on my 88) and it was great. i only had an amp for my 12" subwoofer and it was a huge upgrade over stock no drowned out voices.

I don't understand by "powering any of the speakers." Do you mind clearing up when you say powering the speakers? I'm just simply planning to replace my stock speakers in the car with a set of new ones.

supranaut

Rock'n Death with Spikes
Apr 5, 2005
STL
Powering the speaker from the head unit vs powering from an external amplifier...

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
What really make a great sound is installing a sub woofer, I replace my original speakers with nice after market speakers, but face it they are only 4" and 5-1/4" speakers and will not move a lot of air no matter what brand speakers you get, what really make the sound in you car to shine is a sub-woofer which play the bass and low frequencies. I have a power sub under the passenger seat that in addition of great sound also gives a Swedish massage to whomever who seat next to me. I bought it from amazon for under $100, let me know if you want the brand and model.
When you shopping for new speakers pay close attention to the cone size of the speakers to make sure the fit the original speaker cone cavity , don't assume all 4" or 5-1/4
speakers have the same size cone.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The subwoofer will make the biggest difference in overall sound quality. Without a sub woofer you're just never going to get the full range of sound. The factory speakers can only produce 75% of the music or something like that. I recently put an alpine 8" sub in my Land Cruiser and even with the decent stock setup it made a HUGE difference. The Supra, having only those puny 4" speakers desperately needs a sub if you want to have a "complete" stereo.

Once you tackle the sub (something like this would probably be great if you're on a budget: http://tinyurl.com/l7fzoud) then most any aftermarket speaker will be better than the old factory stuff. The pioneers you linked would probably be fine.

fox74

Nov 9, 2014
SLC
Suprax7nut does you stereo unit has a separate sub output ?, mine does with complete control of range of frequency output to the sub. I am not sure if you don't have this dedicated output how you would hook up your sub.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I have aftermarket stereos in both my mk3 Supra and Land Cruiser. They both have sub "pre-outs" with the full control you're talking about.

If you are trying to use a sub with a stereo that doesn't have a sub pre out, you will need "high level" or "speaker level" inputs on the amp that you will be using with your subwoofer. I would say if you're hooking up a sub you should already have a stereo with a sub pre-out. It's a pretty standard feature on all, but the lowest of entry level head units.

Josh Kushner

Jun 22, 2015
Los Angeles
Get an NEX head unit with 4 inch focal speakers up front and either replace the back ones or leave stock and then get a precision power black ice 5 ch amp and get a sub and you will be golden

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Someone correct me if im wrong but aren't the JDM front door inserts an option. I believe they will fit the stock door and allow you to use 6 1/2" speakers upfront?

I have used Alpines and Infinities upfront and at the end of the day 4" speakers are still 4" speakers.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Not JDM, but 91-92 speaker pods use 6.5 in.

I upgraded my speakers a few times but not a big improvement. What really made a difference was adding an NEX deck with a powered subwoofer. That was a transformation to something that finally sounded excellent.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
allfans26;2066338 said:
My goal is to upgrade the speakers from the stock system that I still have in my car. When I try to increase the bass and treble to +6 it's not there at all. The bass and treble at its max would be considered "no bass" or "normal" in today's standard.

Thanks,
Branden

Does your car have the sport roof option? It is noted that the originals, even 91-92 don't have the sound of something new. However, many of the originals were ruined by cranking up the volume to the limit because people drive at highway speed with the roof off. And it drowns out Van Halen.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
nick m;2068275 said:
does your car have the sport roof option? It is noted that the originals, even 91-92 don't have the sound of something new. However, many of the originals were ruined by cranking up the volume to the limit because people drive at highway speed with the roof off. And it drowns out van halen.

roflmfao