Can 2JZ Valve Stem Seals be used on 1JZ?

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Hi folks,
Been trying to find a thread to answer my question but with no luck. I know that the part numbers are different between the 2JZ and the 1JZ valve stem seals however what I do not know is whether they are physically different? I'm looking at buying a car that the previous owner used 2JZ valve seals. The current owner says it smokes on deceleration but not after a cold start which is a typical sign valve stem seal is leaking. The car has an upgraded PCV valve and a mechanic checked the intake and downpipe for signs of burnt oil (no oil or ash was present).

Thanks for the help

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
hvyman;2025029 said:
2jz seal can be used on 1jz. Smoke on decel prolly turbos.
Thanks Hvyman,
That was my inclination as well. I'm just worried b/c I am going to drive it 10 hours home once I buy it...
If the oil is being combusted, would there be signs of ash in the spark plug area?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Not from just looking at the outside of spark plugs.

1jz stock twins usually fail. Its rare they dont.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I just talked to the RCTS guys here locally who specialize in these cars and they said the 2JZ valve stem seals supersede the 1JZ seals, essentially meaning that the 2JZ seals replaced them.

With respect to the plugs, you mean I would have to pull the plugs and see if any ash is present right?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya you would need to pull plugs. But if the turbos are smoking it wouldnt showup on the plugs.