camshaft/head stud question

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
On my car i cant get to 2 of the head studs with out taking out the camshafts. my question is. can i grind a flat spot on that part of the cam or will it through it to far out of balance. it is a real pain in the ass to take them off and put them back in to get to 2 head studs.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
WOW! NO!! Dude!!! You've got to be kidding? I thought you can just pin the cam shaft and bam pop it off? I hope studs are not 100% different then head bolts. !!!!

Please someone fill me in if I am totally wrong here!

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
thin walled socket and turn the cam by hand to get it to fit. no need to take out the cams

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
if you have sutds, i used a 12pt 14mm SHORT socket with a 3'' extension and then a 3/8 to 1/2'' adapter with a breaker bar... all you have to do is ROTATE the cam until you can slide it in there.

you dont need to grind down ANYTHING, just get the proper tools....

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
i dont think yall under stand. the camshafts that i have, stock of course, on the second stud back on both cams there is a piece of the cam that does not have a place on it when i rotate it around so you can get to the studs. my old cams did but the new ones dont. also the socket i am using is a thin wall

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
grinding cam is silly.. it really doesn't take that long to take the cam out.... if your taking the head off anyways.. its just a few bolts to take the cams out..

you can try grinding socket.. if that doesnt work.. really dont shortcut by cutting the cam.. and really.. then you have metal shavings all over the head.. and thats not good..

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Supraboy89;1176170 said:
i dont think yall under stand. the camshafts that i have, stock of course, on the second stud back on both cams there is a piece of the cam that does not have a place on it when i rotate it around so you can get to the studs. my old cams did but the new ones dont. also the socket i am using is a thin wall

Please get pics so we know what this looks like I have a feeling you're not doing something quite right here.

nosman4

Nov 10, 2007
Bend, Oregon
Yeah, like 92teal said, pics would help. I can remove my head without taking out he cams, so like poodles said you may have aftermarket cams.

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
ok here is a pic of my old camshaft. for right now. because i have not started to break down my engine yet. now this one is precut on the round piece in the middle of the lobes. now the new ones are completly round making it impossible to get anything to the head stud nut.
p1176408_1.jpg

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
Nomad707;1176423 said:
then take the cams out... it's seriously not hard..... and only takes 5 minutes of your time more if you already got valve covers off..............

uh i dont know about you but takin them out is quick but retorqueing them back in is a pain in my back and doesnt take 5min to do. there are to many damn bolts. and after 3 headgaskets you get tired of takin them in and out. plus i planed on takin them out before i grind a place on them.

Last edited:

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Supraboy89;1176432 said:
uh i dont know about you but takin them out is quick but retorqueing them back in is a pain in my back and doesnt take 5min to do. there are to many damn bolts. and after 3 headgaskets you get tired of takin them in and out. plus i planed on takin them out before i grind a place on them.

Seems like you are pretty determined to grind your cam down and litter your head with shavings/ruin your camshaft to get a head stud loose. Rather than getting pissed at us for telling you what you dont want to hear, just go ahead and do it, all anybody did here was give opinions, and in the nicest possible way too...

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
No what did you come on here for? You came on to see what "Supra Experts" thought would be the best route. You have basically neglected our responses, and it looks like your mind is set on grinding down this camshaft.

Go for it, see how many shaving end up in the wrong places, and you'll be replacing more then just a head gasket next time.

We now give up on you. :3d_frown: